Preservation articles?

Red Devil

Hello! In one of my grad classes I have the opportunity to conduct an inquiry project on any topic I choose, and I am able to combine my hobby of militaria collecting with my program of Educational Technology. With my upcoming move at the end of this semester, I have decided to research best practices for preserving and storing cloth, leather, paper, metal and paper artifacts. The threads here have proven a wealth of information and very beneficial to my research.

I realize that practices vary widely and in accordance with personal taste. I am wondering if anyone has located and can share articles specifically dealing with preserving military artifacts? I have located the Kent State Museum article referenced in the pinned section, and found a handy guide on the National WW2 Museum website. Any other links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated for my research!

Thank you for your time, and for the time everyone has put into this Preservation section.

-Johannes

I believe the Smithsonian has a series of web articles on their site broken down by material.

If you Google "museum conservation practices," you'll get tons of links. The more current / correct term is "conservation" vice "preservation" or "restoration." But you'll get a bunch of hits searching under those terms, as well.

Good luck with your project.

Mike