J.Q.D 88B Mountain Rucksack with Rifle Strap and Belly Band

rambob

Here is my Mint, Unissued Mountain Rucksack that I was lucky enough to acquire with, the somewhat harder to find Belly Band and Rifle Strap. The rucksack is ink stamped Meese Inc. 1942 under the flap. I discovered the following excellent web site http://www.mountaintroops.us/ruck_history2.html

describing the history of the rucksack superbly and showing how the rifle strap was used to attach the rifle to the pack. So I decided to rig up a mannequin to show my interpretation of how the strap is used. In the attached pictures you will discover what the snap hook and the hook thingy on the left shoulder strap are both used for. The only thing I did differently was I ran the rifle strap under the small connecting straps which connect the shoulder straps to the flap closure straps. I think this would keep the rifle strap from rubbing against the back of the neck. BTW. The large pouch on the back of the pack contains a meat can which is what the pouch supposedly was put there for.

Bob

post-299-1265842339.jpg

craig_pickrall

Bob, that is a very nice display. It has been needed for a long time. Thank you for taking the time to put it together.

Craig, Thanks. It did take a bit of effort, but I enjoyed doing it. The stupid snap hook like to killed my poor arthritic hands though. For curiosity sake, just how scarce is the rifle strap for the rucksack. I have never seen one displayed except in the web site I refered to.

Regards,

Bob

craig_pickrall

The web site you posted is the site of Mike Myers. He is one of the go to guys on 10th Mountain gear. He has been planning to write a book for the last 20 or 30 years but hasn't done so yet. I hope he gets it done while I can still read it without having to have someone read it to me.

My area of experience is pretty small on these packs and straps. I have always had a fondness for these packs and have bought everyone I have ever seen except a couple that were trashed. Even with that I do not have that many of them (maybe 20 or 25). Since I was buying them long ago maybe I was just lucky but almost everyone had both the rifle strap and the waist strap. In my experience the waist strap is missing more often that the rifle strap. The waist strap would slide right off easily and was a handy strap for other things while the rifle strap was attached better and wasn't very useful for other things. In the good old days I used to dig thru box after box of miscellaneous web straps at surplus stores. There were certain straps I was always looking for and the straps for this pack were on the list. I have several spares of both type straps to upgrade any pack I find missing them. I'm not sure what todays market is like for these. I don't buy them at todays prices because I just don't need them anymore. The last one I bought was a couple of years ago at a small, out of the way, country antique store. It was in close to new condition and had all of the correct straps. I think I paid $15 for it.

Very nice display, thank you for posting it. The rifle straps are pretty easy to find still and go for around the 20.00 dollar mark.

You know any places where these straps are for sale?

Greetz ;)

David

You know any places where these straps are for sale?

Greetz ;)

David

They turn up on ebay quite frequently. I ended up picking up one from Advance Guard militaria along with some other things.

They turn up on ebay quite frequently. I ended up picking up one from Advance Guard militaria along with some other things.

Thanks! I need both straps to complete my ruck.

Greetz ;)

David

Alaskan Scout, I always say "Ask and ye shall receive". Don't be disappointed because it is NOT a ski cap. BTW. I have been looking for a mint WWII ski cap forever, without luck. It is a Cap, Winter, that was made in 1940 and is real WWII Army issue. I say this, because there is a huge amount of these caps around that are wierd colors of bluish green and with tags with a CIV on them that apparently stands for the Civilian Conservation Corps.

Bob

post-299-1266167418.jpg

Guest Alaskan Scout

Thanks ..............looks just like mine but mine is khaki in color...There was no tag inside..Your mock up showed me what one looks like on a head asi thought it was fitted wrong but its suppose to be the way it is..Sorry im new @ the whole US thing...thanks for the help!

p1010007-6.jpg

p1010008-4.jpg

p1010009-3.jpg

Great Post Rambob. I checked both of my packs. One has both the rifle and waist strap. The waist strap was installed wrong. Now thanks to your posting I can hook it up right. Gosh I love this Forum. Robert

Great thread and posts :thumbsup: Thanks again, Craig- shows me I'm not the only one here with a Rucksack fetish :lol::wacko: My latest count is 23 (including a '41 and a '42, both well-seasoned, which I use for outdoors), with spare Rifle/Belly/Frame straps "just in case". Only thing I haven't snagged yet is a W.W.II-vintage Rifle Strap made in dark O.D.; also haven't found all the Snow Covers to match the makers on all the packs yet.

Here's a pic of members of Co E or F, 148th Infantry, 37th Division at Ft Indiantown Gap, PA in early '42. Notice the caps they are wearing. The Lt in the foreground is a friend of mine. Then a Lt he went on to command Co F as Capt. Awarded the DSC, SS, 3 Purple Hearts... Quite the soldier and a great man.

post-729-1266180864.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
10thMountainWWII

Mike Myers website, www.mountaiontroops.us is a good website on the history of the rucksack but his chart of makers/years/manufacturers is not correct. There are several rucksacks that exist that he does not have on his list.

• 5 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Does anyone out there have a source for straps for the mountain bags as i need the bottom section if the shoulder straps, belly strap, and the rifle strap. Thanks Dwayne