liner for a WWW1 helmet

I'd recommend Prairie Flower too. I bought a junk shell for my project, painted it, and used their liner. Great people to work with, the liner is pretty good, too. Only "off" thing is that black tar cloth, or whatever it is in the originals. I suspect they don't even make it anymore, but their version carried off the look really well. I also put one of their liners in my M1916 Stalhelm.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

howdy guys , great I knew somrone had to make one , many thanks, happy

so how the weather out there its snowing in NY

I'd recommend Prairie Flower too. I bought a junk shell for my project, painted it, and used their liner. Great people to work with, the liner is pretty good, too. Only "off" thing is that black tar cloth, or whatever it is in the originals. I suspect they don't even make it anymore, but their version carried off the look really well. I also put one of their liners in my M1916 Stalhelm.

They're great folks too. When I ordered the German helmet liner, it took a little just a little while (nothing unreasonable at all) and I just checked up on it, they responded promptly and let me know that paint was dring on the split pins they paint feldgrau. Great customer service.

howdy guys , great I knew somrone had to make one , many thanks, happy

so how the weather out there its snowing in NY

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

wow

They're great folks too. When I ordered the German helmet liner, it took a little just a little while (nothing unreasonable at all) and I just checked up on it, they responded promptly and let me know that paint was dring on the split pins they paint feldgrau. Great customer service.
wow

Thanks for the kind words, we try our best! I am not happy with the use of early vinyl in lieu of original oilcloth. The problem is that the oilcloth is one of those things we are not allowed to sell because it "may cause cancer" and my insurance company has a problem with it. I am still looking for a suitable substitute that makes my insurance agent, my customers and the food and drug administration happy....Thanks again.

Steffan Baker

Prairie Flower Leather co.

Thanks for the kind words, we try our best! I am not happy with the use of early vinyl in lieu of original oilcloth. The problem is that the oilcloth is one of those things we are not allowed to sell because it "may cause cancer" and my insurance company has a problem with it. I am still looking for a suitable substitute that makes my insurance agent, my customers and the food and drug administration happy....Thanks again.

Steffan Baker

Prairie Flower Leather co.

Was the original material an enamaled cloth or a true oiled type cloth? Both are rather easily made.

Steffan,

If its an issue of safety of materials, you could try to make a similar "oil cloth" with russian sheeting and black latex paint. Many of the makers of US Civil War reproduction gear do not make true oil cloth, but use modern paints. Ultimately, it would be fantastic to see the helmet liners made from true oilcloth like the originals!

Mark Headlee

There is a big difference between oil cloth and enameled cloth. Both date back to antiquity, but are 2 different beast. Civil War US packs and bags where USUALLY made with enameled cloth. I mixed 50/50 black latex paint with boiled linseed oil, years ago and it turned out perfect for matching the paint the used on some originals I studied. It was a booger getting completely mixed and took some time to dry. Once dry it was tough and very pliable.