Water bucket in canvas

riverok

This item is dated 1944 and looks like it was U.S. military issue. The maker's name is not readable. I believe it is a lineman's bag. It's a canvas bag and braided canvas strap much like a gun sling. It is canvas lined.

Anyone familiar with a lineman's bag like this?

Riverok

Tahlequah, OK

post-5625-1265736772.jpg

It looks a lot like a collapsable water bucket (or whatever needs to be carried). I suppose a lineman could use it, but I think it is the follow-on to the M1912 Collapsable Water Bucket.

General Apathy

post-344-1265901918.jpg

Hi Riverok, What you have is the small size folding or collapsible canvas bucket of WWII, if it's not what you want you may find that a WWII Jeep owner would like it.

I had three WWII unissued Lineman's buckets about five years ago, I have looked for a photo of them but I think it was on my previous computer.

As I recall from memory all three were white canvas, large black stencilling on the outside along with Signal Corps small red block stamp, I recall the bottom was leather, and maybe a rope handle, also the top was much wider than the bottom like a true bucket shape.

I have just searched the web and found a modern civilian linemans bucket, so just as a rough comparison this one is not circular as the WWII ones were, otherwise it is white, with rope handle and leather bottom, and gives a rough idea unless someone else posts an original one.

Cheers Lewis

Thanks all.

Lewis....were the buckets you had lined with rubber? This one is not lined, just canvas.

Thanks

Riverok

Oklahoma's Green Country

General Apathy
Thanks all.

Lewis....were the buckets you had lined with rubber? This one is not lined, just canvas.

Thanks

Riverok

Oklahoma's Green Country

Hi Riverok, If your referring to the linemans bucket, no they are simply white, single layer canvas, leather bottomed for strengh.

Water buckets such as the one you have posted do not require to be lined with rubber and none of the U.S. Quartermaster buckets are lined with rubber, the two layer canvas system is quite adequate to hold water, you should see that the inner is a much finer weave of material than the outer, all canvas naturally swells slightly upon contact with water thereby inhibiting water passing through the weave.

Remember canvas roofs for Jeeps, they were only one thickness and yet prevented the occupants of the Jeep getting wet from above.

Cheers Lewis

Here's one of those buckets on my Dodge-Jeep guys love them for the gas can on the back of their jeep,too. There is a smaller version of this bucket,too-identical in construction,but just smaller in diameter.

dodgeredc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Here's one of those buckets on my Dodge-Jeep guys love them for the gas can on the back of their jeep,too. There is a smaller version of this bucket,too-identical in construction,but just smaller in diameter.

dodgeredc.jpg

I really wonder if this is a water bucket because the size is smaller and it does not have the crossed web straps on the bottom. So..........my question is this: Is anyone familiar with a G.I. canvas item like the one pictured, perhaps a Signal Corps item?

Thanks

Riverok

post-551-1267140965.jpgI have the same questions on the one I have. Its on the right in the picture. WWII in the middle and WWI on the left. It has no US on it just the date 1943. Construction is the same as you discribe with no support straps on the bottom. Robert

• 3 weeks later...
General Apathy

post-344-1268753436.jpg

AHA. That might explain it. Never thought of it being non US. Robert

Hi Robert, Aha, got a little side collection going on there in Canadian gear eh. :rolleyes:

For Riverok & fellow members, I finally tracked down one of my photo's of the WWII linemans buckets.

Cheers Lewis

post-344-1268753436.jpg

Hi Robert, Aha, got a little side collection going on there in Canadian gear eh. :rolleyes:

For Riverok & fellow members, I finally tracked down one of my photo's of the WWII linemans buckets.

Cheers Lewis

Hey Lewis "NOT". :pinch: I've got enough going keeping track of my US stuff. I'm going to put it away with my french made Chauchat Magazine Bag and use it for trading material. Robert

• 6 years later...

Isn't that a Canadian military marking?

Although it looks similar, I don't think that's a Canadian acceptance stamp. Here's one, borrowed from warrelics.eu:

post-15963-0-73786300-1484418198.jpg

And here are two looks at buckets with that same stamp, borrowed from ebay. I still can't quite make out the details, but I think it's a US manufacturer's logo. These skinnier buckets don't seem to have the US mark, regardless of maker. Enjames shows one (different maker) in his GI volume 1, alongside the wider US-marked version.

post-15963-0-16719900-1484418654.jpg

post-15963-0-22541500-1484418660.jpg