Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

williamsmilitaryrelics

they remind me some officer china Marine who pops out on eBay a few years ago, the back look very similar to them... :think:

William,

Yes they are all known fantasy, based off of the french pattern of WW1. Interesting these were all together being sold by one individual. You normally see one or two, but all of these bad pieces together makes you wonder who the guy was. On the discs with the EGAs...the discs are real, just the EGAs have been added. Some want so bad for these to be real, they are made up. The sweetheart, in my opinion, might have a chance, but again, I believe that the piece is OK but that the Gaunt mark is spurious. Many of these still go for big money at private auctions (thats where you always see them now).

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

These insignia brought $271.00. I believe these are NCHS reproductions, anyone else agree? They are marked "sterling", lack detail and appear fairly crude. I am unable to post the pics. I know these "sterling" sets were being sold just a few months ago by NCHS on ebay. It appears to me that this set was chemically aged and then resold as original. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

teufelhunde.ret

Mike, your correct - the seller has a LONG history (since 03/04? and recently changed name) under the seller name of "thepengiun" pushing these and similar to the un-suspecting... s/f Darrell

Man, just when you think you're developing a "trained eye"!

Thanks for posting this, Mike, I know that I for one might have been fooled....

Semper,

Ski

So who is the culprit here, NCHS for selling items not marked as Repros full well knowing this would happen? Obviously a good chunk of his sales are people like this.

I put "House of Swords" out of business many years ago with a mail fraud charge. He had so many complaints against him, but no one bothered to supply the Attorney General with any information or details for them to prosecute. I game them 161 counts suspected fraud in one of his catalogues along with evidence to back it up.

If someone purchases an EGA and this person knowingly is passing it off as original and has it delivered via the US Mail they are pretty much done for if someone files a Mail Fraud Case. If there is an EBAY auction showing this person bought these from NCHS and then he is selling them aged there is some of the evidence.

I spent years curtailing the sale of fake Holocaust related items on Ebay and even offered Ebay my services for free, but to no avail. I received threats of all sorts by people selling the fake stuff. Enough threats for me to speak with the FBI and get a PO Box to avoid a bomb in the mail at my house. Luckily nothing that severe happened, but you never know these days. I can't be the Ebay police so I stopped wasting time. Buyer beware and the best protection is education.

These insignia brought $271.00. I believe these are NCHS reproductions, anyone else agree? They are marked "sterling", lack detail and appear fairly crude. I am unable to post the pics. I know these "sterling" sets were being sold just a few months ago by NCHS on ebay. It appears to me that this set was chemically aged and then resold as original. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Mike,

Instead of NCHS, I think these may have started out as a pair of these:

http://www.1903.com/productView.asp?productID=465

Mike,

Instead of NCHS, I think these may have started out as a pair of these:

http://www.1903.com/productView.asp?productID=465

You are right, NCHS has been making a different pattern. These appear to be from that site you posted..thanks!

As for dies, these fakes are not stamped, they are from a mold of originals. The dies themselves???? who knows. Most of these were made from multiple pieces, with the eagle anchor and globes being seperate pieces. I have never seen any dies, there was an old button die on e-bay (may still be there).

Mike

I recently got these from eBay. I couldn't be sure from the photos on the auction site so I took a chance on them. Now that I have them in hand, I'm not all that sure. I'd like the opinion of some knowledgeable EGA collectors on the authenticity...or not, of this pair. The last picture, the close up of the Eagle with Sterling hallmark, wouldn't fit so I'll attach it to a subsequent post.

post-1107-1266453170.jpg

post-1107-1266453176.jpg

post-1107-1266453297.jpg

Here's the last pic, a close up of the eagle and sterling hallmark.

I just looked at another set of collars and cover EGAs and now I'm worried. This set looks very close to the collar EGAs in that set except that they are not blackened.

post-1107-1266453356.jpg

Thanks for posting these and helping out new, less experienced collectors.

Is the main give-away the lack of detail? Any other tricks of the trade to tell these from the originals?

I wish something could be done to prevent these from hitting the market to begin with. I feel for the new folks just starting out ...

Thanks,

Tim

teufelhunde.ret
Is the main give-away the lack of detail? Any other tricks of the trade to tell these from the originals?

YES - the lack of sufficient detail AND overall softness are the primary clues (albeit these early 1900's emblems did often exhibit a "dull" appearence, not as crisp as latter years). The repro's do not have the same "bulk" of the globe, lack the requisite die extraction markings along he edges of the eagle or anchor. And you will note the lack of any stempling on the surface of the globe. These shown, can be seen in much greater detail here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=18315

pasquale_service_collars_1904_001.jpg

pasquale_service_collars_1904_003.jpg

Thanks for confirming what I suspected as soon as I got them in my hands. I've been in contact with the seller and advised him that they are replicas and he's sort of backing up and saying he's not sure what they are now.......more to follow.

By the way; this was eBay auction #260549408998 in case anyone's interested.

YES - the lack of sufficient detail AND overall softness are the primary clues (albeit these early 1900's emblems did often exhibit a "dull" appearence, not as crisp as latter years). The repro's do not have the same "bulk" of the globe, lack the requisite die extraction markings along he edges of the eagle or anchor. And you will note the lack of any stempling on the surface of the globe.

Thank you Darrell .... I can now see the difference.

Thanks again for posting this information ... I appreciate it.

Tim

• 2 months later...

not even fake. complete and utter fantasy. similar globes are seen on knockoff/fantasy Droop Wing/China Marine emblems. The bird on this one is based off the early Gemsco style