Odd Dutch Medal Bar w/US LOM

Dave

I got this medal bar on consignment about four years ago and it now resides in a collection in Australia.

But, I was going through my old pictures, and thought that folks might really like seeing it!

The bar consists of>

- Dutch WW2 Commemorative (I'm guessing the bar is a "combat" bar?)

- Dutch East Indies Service

- Dutch officer 30 years long service

- Unknown

- US Legion of Merit engraved "J. M. V." on the reverse

- US WW1 Victory

- French WW1 CdeG

- Imperial Russian For Zeal medal

My theory on this bar is that the person was either an immigrant from The Netherlands or of Dutch ancestry who fought for the US in WW1, making his way into Russia, either in North Russia or in Vladivostok. During the depression, he made his way back to The Netherlands (a lot of folks moved back to Europe in the 30s to get work) and joined the military there as an officer. During WW2, he would have been a mid-grade officer and served as either an assistant attache in the US, or perhaps was a liason officer for something. He retired out of the Dutch military in perhaps the late 50s or early 60s.

Any thoughts on this? It's one heck of a bar, and it looks right. I appreciate any opinions on this, and if anyone could ID medal #4, that would be awesome as well!

On another forum, I received this reply:

The unknown medal is the Medal - 24 hours long tour by car of the Amsterdam

Volunteer Home Guards, issued in 1932.

The initials J.M.V. brought me via the Officerslist 1940 (page 401) to:

Captain J.M. Vermeijs, Special Services of the Volunteer Home Guards

(Vrijwillige Landstorm) , compairable with the British Territorial Army. The

Volunteer Home Guards were involved in the fighting against the Nazie

Germans, who invaded The neutral The Netherlands without declaration of war

on 10th of May 1940. This series of warcrimes continued by bombing the

civilian target, the center of Rotterdam on the

14th of May 1940.

In the Officerslist 1959 (page 342) J.M. Vermeijs is listed as a reserve

officer of the Army. Technical Services (Engineers) with the medal

indication: OHK1, OV and (25) meaning Commemorative War Cross with bar May

1940) Cross for Order and Peace (Ereteken voor Orde en Vrede) without clasp

for Indonesia 1945-1950 and Longservice Cross for Officers for 25 , XXV

years.

No mention about his foreign medals, remarkable because he included the

Medal 24 hour drive by car of the Amsterdam Volunteers Militia, issued in

1932. in his medal group, that is not allowed on a Army uniform. The WWI

medals are a question mark, but when he served in the Army in the period

1914-1918 it is likely that he was qualified for the Dutch Mobilisation

Cross 1914-1918, that was issued in 1924.

Other details about J.M. Vermeys:

1st Leuitenant on the 1st of July 1929, Captain on the 1st of February

1939, Major on the 18th of October 1948 and Lt. Colonel on the 1st of

November 1948. Vermeijs was born in 1894. Remarkable that he was only Major

for 2 weeks.

In order to confirm his forreign medals a request to the Chansery in The

Hague is the only adress because in that time the permission for wearing a

foreighn order or medal was required and given by Royal Decree.

Enjoy a highly unusual bar!

Dave

DutchLOM1.jpg

• 3 years later...

Dave,

On a Dutch site, Haagse Beeldbank, I found the following photo

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.geschiedenisvanzuidholland.nl/zoeken%3F%3Dtype%26type%3Dbeeld%26p%3D22912&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Vermeijs%2522%2Blegion%2Bof%2Bmerit%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox

If the link doesn't take you straight to the photo enter "Vermeijs" into the search box

post-203-0-65568700-1374674441.jpg

According to the site, the photo was taken 13 May 1960.

The caption reads (through google translate)

The U.S. ambassador Philip Young hand in the embassy to two Dutch officers award 'Legion of Merit', from left to right the Ambassador, Colonel J. Rothuizen and Lieutenant-Colonel J. M. Vermeijs, Benoordenhoutseweg 7.

(De Amerikaanse ambassadeur Philip Young overhandigt in de ambassade aan twee nederlandse officieren de onderscheiding 'Legion of Merit', van links naar rechts de ambassadeur, kolonel J. Rothuizen en Luitenant-kolonel J.M. Vermeijs, Benoordenhoutseweg 7)

For those who don't know, Dave has a long history of collecting many international medal groups. Top notch stuff, great example!

After some research I found some more info on the recipient.

Johannes Marcus VERMEIJS (or VERMEYS in the US)

born November 27th, 1894 at Zierikzee, the Netherlands.

Both his parents are of Dutch descent (so no US, French or Russian influence there).

In 1960 he received the US Legion of Merit, degree of Legionnaire. His LoM was mentioned in the General Orders # 30 dated Augustus 12, 1960. The award period was october 1955 to october 1959, no further explanation given.

When I am home this afternoon I will check some more.

regards

Herman

And here is his ribbonbar including the ribbon of Officer in the Order of Orange Nassau, slightly visible in the Legion of Merit awardance picture.

Herman

....... Sigh,, i cant upload from my smartphone. I will post this later.

• 9 years later...

I investigated the wearer of this bar some more and he lived in Riga in 1924-1925, so there is a Russian connection.

Below the entry in the Dutch Officers list of 1959. He retired the same year at 65 years which is extraordinary. 

The dates mentioned for promotion to Major and Lieutenant-Colonel are the effective dates. He probably was promoted temporary to Lieutenant-Colonel in 1945 as happened with lots of pre-war officers who were needed for the quick growing Dutch Army in the Netherlands and the Dutch East Indies.

Around october 1948 they reshuffled the officer corps and either made the promotions effective or retired them. A very small group went from Captain to Major-General in 2 weeks.......

A few blank spots remain in his military career. 

Regards

Herman 

IMG_6037-1.jpg

Being awarded a Legion of Merit was even mentioned in the Dutch newspapers.  😊

Good luck with Google translate 😁😁

Regards

Herman 

MMNHA03_179228032_mpeg21_p00003_image.jpg-1-1.jpg

About the medalgroup: The US Victory medal is an unofficial variant with a ball knob. The VM points out to US service in Russia in 1919. The Russian medal for zeal was awarded till 1917 I guess. The French WW1 Croix de Guerre is the third award for WW1. His group lacks the Dutch Mobilisation Cross for WW1 which means he didn't serve in the Dutch Armed forces during this war. As he was born in 1894 this is odd. I have some shred of information which puts him in Riga in 1924-26, so perhaps he lived there a while.

He became a reserve officer on July 1st, 1929 as a first Lieutenant and in that rank he earned the BVA medal. The BVA medal was earned by succeeding in a 24 hours long endurance test by car. A silver one with blue enamel means 5 times succeeding in this event. The event was organized from 1930 to 1939. I saw this silver medal only once and it is in this set!

He was promoted to reserve Captain on Februari 1st, 1939 and actively served in the Dutch Army 1939-40 during the mobilisation and saw action in May 1940. He also went to the Dutch Indies during 1945-1950. The XXX on his Officerscross stands for 30 years service as an officer was awarded in December 1959. He received an Officerscross in the Order of Orange-Nassau in april 1959, which is not in this group as it was given back to the Chancellery of Dutch Orders after his death. He retired in 1959 as a reserve Lieutenant Colonel in the Technical Branch. In May 1960 he also received the US Legion of Merit, degree of Legionnaire for which he requested the Dutch Chancery to wear officially.

After WW2 his promotion dates are fluïd. Before the permanent dates he was promoted temporary.  I guess because he served in the Dutch East Indies.

He died November 24, 1983 in Rotterdam.

Cherrs 

Herman

00148729.PDF