World War Two USMC Flying SQ Patch

1st Sgt CES

The best find for 2010 ! A World War Two USMC SQ patch -about 5 inches in size---Does anyone know what unit & what type of aircraft they flew ? Any help would be great ! Came out of the Syracuse, NY area over the weekend

Thanks 1st Sgt CES

post-6716-1265651957.jpg

post-6716-1265651966.jpg

The best find for 2010 ! A World War Two USMC SQ patch -about 5 inches in size---Does anyone know what unit & what type of aircraft they flew ? Any help would be great ! Came out of the Syracuse, NY area over the weekend

Thanks 1st Sgt CES

VMJ/VMR-352. Unit commisioned in 1943 and changed to VMR designation in 1944. Flew R4D-5 and SNB-2C aircraft. Nice patch. If you ever need a good home for it, let me know. Jeffro

VMJ/VMR-352. Unit commisioned in 1943 and changed to VMR designation in 1944. Flew R4D-5 and SNB-2C aircraft. Nice patch. If you ever need a good home for it, let me know. Jeffro

Note: This is the USMC squadron that famous movie actor Tyrone Power flew with in the pacific in WWII. He became a Marine aviator after he was quite a famous star. It has been reported that he bought these patches for the squadron.

Here's a pic of him in his flight jacket with this patch.

Powers.jpg

Quite a different Hollywood crowd back then......and quite a nice patch find!

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

tarheelyankee

Hello 1st Sgt. Great looking patch. I live in Syracuse and I don't seem to find nearly as nice stuff as you do. Next time you go relicing in Syracuse, you need to take me with you. Do you need a designated driver? LOL :lol: Tarheelyankee

Note: This is the USMC squadron that famous movie actor Tyrone Power flew with in the pacific in WWII. He became a Marine aviator after he was quite a famous star. It has been reported that he bought these patches for the squadron.

Here's a pic of him in his flight jacket with this patch.

post-503-1265660265.jpg

Quite a different Hollywood crowd back then......and quite a nice patch find!

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

I have seen this reported by many sources and often quoted by Ebay sellers. However, if you examine the squadron patch carefully, there are obvious differences between the patch that Mr. Power actually wore and the ones like this recent find that are fairly common as far as USMC WW2 patches are concerned. Though this is obviously a WW2 period piece, I'm not so sure it was part of the initial batch bought and paid for by Tyrone. Nice patch none the less and in great condition I might add. Jeffro

Long ago I had a name tagged original G1 with patch - The felt patch was sewn to a leather background, and the edge of the leather background was stitched to the jacket.

Paul