Ruth Barclay early Female aviator Pilot Wing grouping air mail -- Military?

all-bull

Hey guys,

All of this came together. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Ruth Barclay was a pilot in the military? If so, when and what did she do? I would also like to see if the Postal Air Mail wings may have belonged to her or not?

The Aviatrix pinback badge - This is made by Klein in Portland, Oregon, and the figure appears to have Air Corps lapel pins on...What is this badge?

post-2063-1265650425.jpg

Looks to me like all civilian female pilot memrobillia. There were no female US military pilots until the late 1970's (unless you count the wartime WASP's which actually were not in the military service). These pieces look to date from the 1930's or thereabouts. Nevertheless, it's a nice aviation grouping to a lady aviator. :thumbsup:

I didn't find her name listed on any of the WASP class rosters.

I think she was a civilian pilot, there were plenty of female civilian pilots in the 1930s. The only piece that's throwing me off is the bracelet with the pilot's wing and the "P-" serial number.

I think she was a civilian pilot, there were plenty of female civilian pilots in the 1930s. The only piece that's throwing me off is the bracelet with the pilot's wing and the "P-" serial number.

I was wondering that too. The wing image is certainly regulation military AF basic pilot.

I believe the letter and numbers on her bracelet might be in reference to her Civil Aeronautics Authority issued pilot's license number. The letter "P" would indicate a Private Pilot certification...The letter "C" for Commercial Pilot...And the letter "I" for Instructor certification. She would have needed a Commerical Pilot rating to transport passengers, but could have still transported mail bags with a Private Pilots license. The Museum Of Women Pilots in Oklahoma City has excellent records of those who were members of the 99's. That might be another place to check, if she was not a WASP. The 99's have a website.

Russ