78th Co (G) 2nd Bn 6th Marines 'Over There"

cthomas

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Enrique-

Thanks for posting these pictures of Kelly. I really like that first one the best. It's a crystal clear example of Marines wearing Army issued uniforms.

Take a look at the guy seated center of this scan. Kelly?

Jim-

Excellent point! I just noticed the PH myself...

-Chuck

If that isn't Kelly, it is his twin. The man behind him appears to be John Pruitt. What is the date of the photo from which the scan originates?

Jim

If that isn't Kelly, it is his twin. The man behind him appears to be John Pruitt. What is the date of the photo from which the scan originates?

Jim

Jim-

I don't think that's Pruitt. I date the photo to post-war/occupation era. It is printed on typical German photo postcard paper with the divided backing.

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Jim-

I don't think that's Pruitt. I date the photo to post-war/occupation era. It is printed on typical German photo postcard paper with the divided backing.

That eliminates Pruitt, as he was KIA on 13 Oct if I remember correctly. You might find it interesting that both Pruitt and Kelly were runners for Sellers, Kelly was also his orderly, and Sellers wrote their commendations - two of the seven MOH's awarded to Marines in WWI (not counting the Marine aviator). Kelly was a serious disciplinary problem who left the Corps with $1 due to fines for misconduct. Kelly was from southside Chicago and was quite the hellion. Pruitt was a big strong guy who impressed everyone who met him.

With him in line in the picture, waiting for other decorations, are U.S. Army Major Generals Dickman, Muir, Haan and Hines (very unusual circumstance). Kelly's foreign decorations include the French Croix de Guerre with Bronze Star; French Croix de Guerre with Palm; Montenegrin Silver Medal for bravery; the French Medaille Militaire; and the Italian Croce al Merito di Guerra.

Kelly was the last living 2-MOH winners when he died in 1957.

Jim

That eliminates Pruitt, as he was KIA on 13 Oct if I remember correctly. You might find it interesting that both Pruitt and Kelly were runners for Sellers, Kelly was also his orderly, and Sellers wrote their commendations - two of the seven MOH's awarded to Marines in WWI (not counting the Marine aviator). Kelly was a serious disciplinary problem who left the Corps with $1 due to fines for misconduct. Kelly was from southside Chicago and was quite the hellion. Pruitt was a big strong guy who impressed everyone who met him.

With him in line in the picture, waiting for other decorations, are U.S. Army Major Generals Dickman, Muir, Haan and Hines (very unusual circumstance). Kelly's foreign decorations include the French Croix de Guerre with Bronze Star; French Croix de Guerre with Palm; Montenegrin Silver Medal for bravery; the French Medaille Militaire; and the Italian Croce al Merito di Guerra.

Kelly was the last living 2-MOH winners when he died in 1957.

Jim

Jim-

As always, thank you for all this extra data :thumbsup:

Thanks to you & the others (Enrique, Dirk, Jeremiah...), I have learned a lot since I posted these images.

-Chuck

• 2 years later...
teufelhunde.ret

Today being the 94th anniversary of the start of the Belleau Wood campaign, a most appropriate time to revive this old thread for newer members to see... the price paid by so many Marines...

• 1 year later...

The reverse...

Is there a McDaniels on the 78th's roster?

-Chuck

There was a Marine named "Asa Daniels" in the 78th. Is it possible the postcard reads "Me Daniels"?

• 3 years later...

I scanned Ople Waggoner's file this week at NARA which included his photo. I's adding that here as well as a few other documents from his incredible file. Two Purple Hearts/Silver Star and French CG. I think he actually went on to become an inventor after the war with several patents.

post-9175-0-22499400-1515875011_thumb.jpg

I believe Pruitt was from my home state here in Arizona. I remember seeing a display on him as part of a Medal of Honor exhibit at a small historical society here in my town. I am trying to recall for certain but I believe Messersmith was involved in an embarrassing lack of leadership at Mint Blanc when Major Hamilton had to address him for retreating from the field. I think he lost his command over this incident. If I am incorrect, please someone correct me. I have read articles on this incident where the name of the offending officer was kept anonymous, but seem to remember Messersmith being identified as the one. Great photo here thanks for sharing.