Army Staff badge ( former General Staff badge )

Bill in VA

This isn't exactly rare, but it is one you don't see often. It's a US General Staff badge. It's awarded to US Army officers who serve at least one year with the General Staff at the Department of the Army Headquarters or with the office of the Secretary of the Army.

post-302-1265569692.jpg

The timing for the award of the badge is 365 cumulative days of service on the ARSTAF - not consecutive days. I got mine after one 10 month tour and then was awarded it two months into my second tour in the Pentagon. I actually like the minature version better than the full-size.

• 10 months later...

Here are some pictures of the General Staff / Army Staff Identification Badge.

The star is 3 inches in diameter for the Chief of Staff and former Chiefs of Staff and the 2 inches in diameter badge is authorized for all other personnel awarded the badge.

A miniature badge with 7 stripes in the chief instead of 13 stripes and 1 1/2 inches in diameter was authorized on

23 June 1989.

The lapel button for civilian personnel in the grade of GS-11 and higher was authorized effective 1 July 1982.

It was announced on 23 August 1933 in War Department Circular No. 45

Can someone send me a copy of this Circular No. 45 ?

If you have other versions, please post a picture.

Michael

email: [email protected]

post-8324-1292676862.jpg

pinback

( I do not have the BB&B or handembroidered ID badges, only make a screenshot to save the pictures.)

I traded a General mess dress uniform (4-stars) 15 years ago with a friend in Switzerland and there was the General Staff and DoD ID badges in handembroidered. Somewhere in the tenthousends pictures on my computer there must be a picture of the badges, if I find it, I will post it.

Michael

post-8324-1293047032.jpg

post-8324-1293047040.jpg

Here's mine; as in my collection, not earned by me! Full size - N. S. Meyer, Inc., New York - shield - shield 22m - Made in USA maker's mark.

post-3151-1293157737.jpg

post-3151-1293157755.jpg

These are gorgeous badges!

These are gorgeous badges!

I agree, visually very impressive and beautiful. From time to time, I sort of regret not taking a position as an Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) on the Army Staff several years ago. The USAF only recently (less than five years ago) created an Air Staff Badge, but it's not quite as stunning in appearance, IMO.

Cheers!

Vudu

here mine:

immagine094z.th.jpgimmagine095xj.th.jpg

GSB MEYER's production (datable between 30s and 40s) pinned on a blue dress general uniform, the officer probably was a common officer (colonel or major) in late 30s (1936 becouse his blue uniform was the model 1936 and after re-modified to update the version in a common 1938 with breast pockets) and he become Brigadier General in early 40s and took his General staff badge.

Giancarlo

The General Staff Badge and GS branch insignias are my faovorites. Visually stunning. I have several in my collection (but no embroidered example yet). I have two NS Meyer, and two different Gemsco hallmarked examples. I never get tired of seeing these. Now, if I could just find a super large example like MacArthur wore!

post-297-1293585738.jpg

post-297-1293585745.jpg

post-297-1293585755.jpgGemsco example -these seem to be the most detailed.

• 8 months later...

Here is mine,

without maker's mark. Full size.

Dont know how old/young the Badge is

on the clutch back fasterners are the words : Ballou Reg´d

Greetings

post-54820-1314733809.jpg

Greetings all!

Such a beautiful badge and some wonderful examples in this thread!

Here a 2 of my favs. The first is a Meyer piece. I really like the "rosette" around the posts. As you can see, my example is missing 1 post (upper left), but I still really like it! Clutches were on the 2 remaining posts as I received it.

More to follow.

Best to everyone,

Joe

post-48324-1315000627.jpg

post-48324-1315000636.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
roadrunner

Hello

I was looking for pictures of General Mac Arthur wearing the General Staff ID badge.

Searching with Google -> no result. Searching with "www.bing.com" -> see following:

00786_4l.jpg

Mac Arthur inspects Philippines Scouts, 1936

Michael

roadrunner

next

4925640726_cdda246bc9_z.jpg

General Mac Arthur in Queensland, Australia ( right: Major General Richard K. Sutherland )