USAF MG William "Bud" Breckner Grouping

ed101

I purchased this grouping directly from the General's estate. Besides what is shown, I have more belt buckles and patches.

Major General William "Bud" Breckner

General Breckner received his commission in 1955 and attended Day Fighter School at Nellis AFB. His first assignment was with the 417th Tactical Fighter Squadron flying F-86s and F-100Ds. Later, he was an F101 Pilot with the 87th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. In 1966 he served as an exchange pilot with the Navy for 38 months. During his tour, he flew A-4 Skyhawks along side Senator John McCain from the USS Forrestall, and was on board the day of the tragic fire. He was transferred to the Intrepid on Yankee Station and flew 100 missions over Vietnam. He attended Air Command and Staff College and was assigned as Commander of Detachment 1, 87th FIS. The General returned to Southeast Asia in 1972, Flying F-4 Phantoms with the 435th Tactical Fighter Squadron. He was shot down over Hanoi in July, 1972 and became a POW in the Hanoi Hilton, and other camps until his release in 1975. He returned to fly F106s and continue his career. He was promoted to major General. His decorations include the Silver Star, Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster, Bronze star Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, Air Medal with 11 Oak Leaf Clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal, Navy Commendation Medal, and the Purple Heart. The General died February 16, 2008.

post-8989-1265567358.jpg

post-8989-1265567371.jpg

post-8989-1265567384.jpg

post-8989-1265567397.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hello - I knew MG Breckner very well. He was an airman's airman. We lost a great warfighter when he passed. If you would be interested in selling any of the memorabilia you purchased at his estate auction, I would be interested in buying it. Please let me know. Thank you.

Richard Reynolds, Colonel, USAF (Ret)

• 8 years later...

Brings back memories!  When MG Breckner was shot down, I was stationed with the 37 ARRS at DaNang AB, Vietnam, and it was our responsibility to go rescue downed pilots.  However, many times, there just wasn't enough time to complete the mission.  This was one of those times.  Interestingly, after this tour, I cross-trained into Computer Programming, and was assigned to HQ ATC, Randolph AFB, TX in the late 70s and early 80s. Part of that time, BG Breckner was also assigned there as the ATC Logistics commander, just a few rooms down from me.  When he arrived, he went through the personal records of his people, and saw me.  He immediately went directly to my office and greeted me.  At first, I thought I was in some kind of trouble, until he explained he was a POW at the same time I was over there.  He was the best General ever!!!