M5 Assault Gas Mask & Carrier

Sabrejet

Only you, Ron, could find a $500 mask for $20. ;)

It was a few years ago...I think they were around $300 then ;)

Course the shops I use to hunjt were 70 miles noth of her(one way).The same place had a pair of Hawley liners once for $8 each.I miss that place :D

Only you, Ron, could find a $500 mask for $20. ;)

Wonder if mine had been used.There is white tape around the filter port.

Johan Willaert

Been looking for years for more info on the air valves you encounter on some of these bags....

It unscrews to allow inflating of the bag once closed.

post-92-1313743455.jpg

Just guessing here as I don't know for sure, but that probably isn't an inflation valve, but a pressure relief valve for airborne troops. You know the little valve on the side of the micky mouse arctic boots? That is not for blowing air into the boots, but a pressure relief valve. If you get a pair of regular infantry boots, they don't have them. So, I believe that you have a paratrooper version. Imagine the value now! I will send you my PayPal account and I am only asking %1 of the final value of it after the feeding frenzy of this one, I have only one child to send to college ;)

Johan

I remember seeing your bag posted before.Great example.Thanks for bringing it back up.

Really love the Assault masks and bags.

RD

Johan Willaert

I have wondered dozens of times if the bag worn by the trooper being spoken to by IKE is in fact a bag equipped with the said valve or rather just the upper press stud being unfastened....

post-92-1313781967.jpg

• 4 months later...
I decided to throw mine in the ring. I got mine from a board member here, has the demist kit, gas goggles, M5 ointment can with contents, waterproof .45 bag, personal cover, and some instruction sheets. You can see that my mask was cold set, which was the problem with these masks. My filter says CROWN, US, E3

nyxroh.jpg

2enahbr.jpg

Crown, US E3 should not be the LOT number, but it's the necessary evidence proving your filter was made before 7.7.44, when gas mask facial E6 (experimental 6) and filter canister E3 were officially adopted as gas mask M5 and canister M11

If it is like Johan says to inflate the bag, it will probably be a safety measure in the event when a paratrooper (or first wave assault troops) end up in the water to inflate the bag so that it pulls itself to the surface, a bit like what happens when you pull the chords of the Mae West..

If you carry your own weight like paratroops often did on D-day, these inflation valves were quite useless.

Could make sense, given the importance of the item..

Anyone wants to try? What does the other side (on the inside) of the valve look like?

All the best,

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.