M-227 Signal Lamp

mp44

Hi guys!

Here is mine. The nomenclature for the whole set is Signal Lamp, Equipment, SE-11. Since this picture was taken, I have obtained the goggles, but I still need the spare lamp holder and the binocular filters. Nice little set of pathfinder equipment.

Wayne

post-3743-1265835691.jpg

Excuse me, but Pathfinders, at least for Normandy, did NOT say again NOT use or carry these.

They were created for USAAF use, to signal from aircraft to aircraft in flight or on the ground, and from ground personnel on an airfield to aircraft, either on the ground or aloft. They were used in lieu of radio or to supplement radio traffic. They had a trigger to facilitate Morse code or pre-arranged codes. Most frequently, Troop Carriers used them to direct marshalling and power-up and "go" signals. Under radio silence, planes used them to signal between each other with simple messages, i.e. "open up formation", "nearing IP -- 5 minutes".

The Normandy Pathfinders were given some in their training work-up phases in the UK but they soon found them "useless". They were not bright enough to be seen at a distance of more than a couple hundred yards and not applicable to any purpose in NEPTUNE. No Pathfinders on the ground in Normandy tried passing a message with them to planes, Troop Carrier or otherwise, dashing overhead through a hail of flak.

Instead, the Normandy Pathfinders were equipped with the larger and more powerful British ALDIS lamp. ALDIS lamps were taken along and jumped with, but I have not seen any report of them actually being used to send dot-dit messages to aircraft aloft. They may have been switched on as continuous beacons, or spotlights.

Gentlemen,

I can't speak to their use in other capacity at Normandy, but they were used, at least, by the Navy's 2nd Beach Battalion signalmen on Utah Beach. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1265840920.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice M-227 signal lamp.

Are their actually more pictures were you can see that the signal lamp was in use during WWII? I know that I have seen a picture were the signal lamps was in use during training in the 13th airborne original history books. Even any ETO related such as the Utah beach picture.

Christian

mach1derful

Wow that is a great photo! Everyone that saw my collection always thought the m227 was a flamethrower

Johan Willaert

Are their actually more pictures were you can see that the signal lamp was in use during WWII?

Chris,

Not really in use, but I have always thought the bag carried by the paratrooper with the roll under the left arm to be SE-11 Equipment... He also has the CS-34 linesman pouch which confirms the Signal Corps link or specialty...

post-9906-0-61797500-1402961963.jpg

post-9906-0-94901500-1402961980.jpg

I believe the general misconception that these were Pathfinder lights was started with the Osprey Elite Series booklet about the US AB Forces, back in the early 90s...

Johan

pararaftanr2

Hi Johan,

The bag in your photos appears to be, without question, the BG-131 for the signal lamp. Here is an enlargement of a Life

magazine photo of troops embarked for D-Day. The 2nd NBB signalman at the rear appears to have a BG-131 bag on his lap with his carbine. Note, they are both wearing the green dyed, Navy two piece anti-gas impregnated suits. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1270477153.jpg

Johan,

That's definitely an SE-11 Equipment bag. As you say most people misconcept these signal lamps as pathfinder lights.

Probably their are equipment list out there that confirm that these were issued to certain units.

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in the US Marine Corps (1981-1986) as a Field Radio Operator (2531), SE-11's were still T/O equipment in a FMF Infantry Battalion. We had several, unissued SE-11's dating back to the 1940's when I served with 3rd Bn, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division, Camp Pendleton, CA and 1st Bn, 10th Marines, 2nd Marine Division, Camp LeJeune, NC. We never used them but they were still in the Marine Corps supply system at least the entire time I was in. I suppose that when they were finally phased out, they should have made it to DRMO along with all of the associated spare parts. I suppose there should be a lot of them floating around somewhere after DRMO sold them.

• 5 years later...
stealthytyler

A Navy signalman from the 4th Naval Beach Battalion told me that he used these during amphibious landings in Sicily, Italy and S. France.

• 1 year later...
stealthytyler

Correction, the 4th BB did not use this light during invasions of Sicily, Italy and southern France. They used something similar called the 9-s-4240-l.

• 3 years later...

Just came across this picture from Critical Past online. Figured I'd leave this here. 

USN troops on the beach in Normandy. Of other possible interest is the M5 army assault gas mask worn by USN amphibious personnel. 

Enjoy

maxresdefault.jpg

On 4/5/2010 at 4:29 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Chris,

Not really in use, but I have always thought the bag carried by the paratrooper with the roll under the left arm to be SE-11 Equipment... He also has the CS-34 linesman pouch which confirms the Signal Corps link or specialty...

post-9906-0-61797500-1402961963.jpg

post-9906-0-94901500-1402961980.jpg

I believe the general misconception that these were Pathfinder lights was started with the Osprey Elite Series booklet about the US AB Forces, back in the early 90s...

Johan

Johnan - I believe you are correct that is an SE-11 equipment bag - the interesting question is since I don't believe they are Pathfinders what would it be used for?  Best, Bill K.

Johan Willaert
6 hours ago, Bellumbill said:

Johnan - I believe you are correct that is an SE-11 equipment bag - the interesting question is since I don't believe they are Pathfinders what would it be used for?  Best, Bill K.

IMO for signalling to friendly forces at night... Maybe indicate the position of your unit to inciming friendly patrols and similar actions....

• 3 months later...