Grenade Launcher Sight, M-15

Sabrejet

This item is indicitive of the mint, unissued WW2 stuff which can still be found out there today without having to break the bank! It's a grenade launcher sight w/ carrying case, '44 dated. It was designed for use with the M-1903 Springfield, M-1 Garand and M-1 Carbine. It needed to be screwed onto the wooden stock on the shooter's left side and was a guide to the correct elevation and depression of the weapon when in grenade launching mode. The sight itself is still sealed in its original greased paper so I think I'll leave it that way. Also supplied is a leaflet giving fitting instructions and ranging tables. It's marked "RESTRICTED".

These unissued sights are not uncommon, so it's my guess that GIs preferred to fire their rifle grenades "by eye" and probably perceived these sights as unneccessary and therefore surplus to requirements!

post-8022-1265396137.jpg post-8022-1265396149.jpg

Sabrejet

Looks like you got one right out of the factory it's so fresh looking! I've seen so many of these but never one that was out of the greased paper. I have no idea what they look like. :P

craig_pickrall

I don't know what quantity those are available in today but for many years they were available in the thousands. I have 4 or 5 of them I bought about 30 years ago for $1.00 each. I have seen the pouches in antique stores for the last few years but the sight was not included.

Looks like you got one right out of the factory it's so fresh looking! I've seen so many of these but never one that was out of the greased paper. I have no idea what they look like. :P

There's a circular mounting plate which screws on to the wood stock, notched in 5 degree increments. An elongated leaf-sight fits on to this and can be zeroed in horizontally by adjusting two small screws...ditto vertically. Maybe a fellow forum-er has one "out of the packet" which he could post here?

Ian :thumbsup:

I don't know what quantity those are available in today but for many years they were available in the thousands. I have 4 or 5 of them I bought about 30 years ago for $1.00 each. I have seen the pouches in antique stores for the last few years but the sight was not included.

Hi Craig. Uncle Sam must've over-produced big-time given the amount of minty surplus stuff there is in circulation! I paid £15 for mine...about $25 or so at today's prices, so at a buck a piece you did good!

Ian ;)

I turned down a crate of them for cheap as they are so common. In hindsighte I shoul dhave bought it as the cases norally have the srilling template in it.

After many years of attempting to find some actual evidence that they ever got ot a combat unit, the best I have been ableot do is find a photo which "looks" like thee "might" be the circular plate on a rifle late war in europe. But t is too hazy to really tell.

So if anyone hs any proof they ever got to a combat unit before the end of fighting please let us know.

That photo would probably be this one,which I sent to you years ago at the "GI Journal". As you saw with the original, it does seem to be the mounting plate on that Garand leaning against the MG mount,which also has the grenade launcher mounted.

12-30-12-1.jpg

Boyt44, That is definitely an M15 Sight mounting base on the side of that garand. For those of you who are interested in a closeup of how these sights are actually mounted here you go. This is my shooter grade garand, with a grungy stock that I decided to mount an m15 sight to to liven it up for display. I have an original mounting jig which is shown and the sight is mounted exactly as stated in the regulations. I am showing a copy of the instructions that came in the M15 case along with the sight, plus a copy of TB 23-30-1 which gives additional details on how to mount and use the sight. This document actually came with the jig and is somewhat scarce I believe.

BTW. I have about a half dozen of these sights because they were so common awhile back, they were usually either "thrown" into a militaria deal by dealers to sweeten it or just given away with gas fill ups.

Bob

post-299-1265462590.jpg

Sabrejet, Thanks!! I was hoping people were going to say "Cool!" and not "You stupid idiot!!" for defiling an M1 Garand stock to mount the sight. After all, mounting the sight requires two pretty good sized screw holes in the side of the stock.

Bob

Boyt44, That is definitely an M15 Sight mounting base on the side of that garand. For those of you who are interested in a closeup of how these sights are actually mounted here you go. This is my shooter grade garand, with a grungy stock that I decided to mount an m15 sight to to liven it up for display. I have an original mounting jig which is shown and the sight is mounted exactly as stated in the regulations. I am showing a copy of the instructions that came in the M15 case along with the sight, plus a copy of TB 23-30-1 which gives additional details on how to mount and use the sight. This document actually came with the jig and is somewhat scarce I believe.

BTW. I have about a half dozen of these sights because they were so common awhile back, they were usually either "thrown" into a militaria deal by dealers to sweeten it or just given away with gas fill ups.

Bob

I'm glad to see someone else did this.As soon as I can find a spare stock I'm going to do the same and mount a winter trigger and safety on it also.Plus whatever else I can find that was used on an M1,coaches sight etc.

Here's something to watch out for. Not all M15 sights are the same. Before it was designated the M15, it was the T-59-E3 Sight.

t59_1.JPG

t59_2.JPG

These were manufactured by 4 different companies.

Boehm Pressed Steel, marked with Boehm or BPS, they made both the T-59-E3 and the M15

Western Newell Co, marked with N in a diamond

Slaymaker Lock Co, marked with SL Co

Pressure Lube, marked with PRl

The early T-59-E3 cases did not have the hook on the back for attaching to the belt

I am currently looking for an M15 that is marked with the word Boehm spelled out if anyone has one.

• 4 months later...

does anyone know when the pouch and sights for that matter came into use? most if not all the puches ive seen are usually dated 1944 and are transitional or full od7. were they first made in 1944? or earlier?

does anyone know when the pouch and sights for that matter came into use? most if not all the puches ive seen are usually dated 1944 and are transitional or full od7. were they first made in 1944? or earlier?

The M15 sight according to information in Pyle's book on M1 Tools,Accessories and Appendages was standardized March 2,1944. The M7 launcher was standardized on March 5,1943. There is an earlier sight pouch.I have never seen one other than in pictures.It is described in Pyles book as "characterized by no markings,no belt hook,and a slightly rounded design instead of recrangular".The pictures are in B&W but the earlier pouch appears to be of a tan color compared to the piicture of the OD case.

From the number of these sights available on the market in unused condition it seems they were little used.From reported conversations with veterans they were disliked as they tended to catch on everything.

thanks for the info Blair, yeah my pouch is very minty, very soft no rust or corrosion, etc. i got the sight seperatly in and opened plastic bag with all pieces and direction sheet. my pouch is undated and transitional.probably Korean or Vietnam era. i got it for 5 bucks, and i got my buddy a full 0d7 one in used condition for 3.

The M15 sight according to information in Pyle's book on M1 Tools,Accessories and Appendages was standardized March 2,1944. The M7 launcher was standardized on March 5,1943. There is an earlier sight pouch.I have never seen one other than in pictures.It is described in Pyles book as "characterized by no markings,no belt hook,and a slightly rounded design instead of recrangular".The pictures are in B&W but the earlier pouch appears to be of a tan color compared to the piicture of the OD case.

From the number of these sights available on the market in unused condition it seems they were little used.From reported conversations with veterans they were disliked as they tended to catch on everything.

My son was issued a grenade launcher sight with his M203 in Iraq-he never used it,or even mounted it on his rifle, because he found that with a little practice,he could drop those grenades wherever he wanted.