M1 Medic helmets in wear

ccmax

*Now, I know that there are many militaria historical experts out there who swear up and down that any vet they ever spoke with never saw a marked helmet worn by a medic but, I think the photographic evidence is that medics, in overwhelmingly large numbers, indeed marked their helmets. More to come...

*Now, I know that there are many militaria historical experts out there who swear up and down that any vet they ever spoke with never saw a marked helmet worn by a medic but, I think the photographic evidence is that medics, in overwhelmingly large numbers, indeed marked their helmets. More to come...

It would be interesting to see a timeline developed showing helmets by theater and by month/year. Maybe as they went later in the war, the helmets lost their markings?

...Maybe as they went later in the war, the helmets lost their markings?

Here's a late one: Airborne Medic, Operation Varsity March 1945

medic_7.JPG

Larger medical markings seem to be more common towards the end of the war. How many men were there in each medical battalion attached to a division? 400? 500? Add the medics in the infantry battalions and in the artillery and engineer units, plus the rear area echelons were the field and other hospitals were located. Easily, there may have been some 700 men who qualified as medical personnel (to use a broad term) in each infantry division. Again, how many divisions did the US Army have in the field? Helmets with medical markings may actually have been the most common to see use in the field. Of course this does not mean they are common nowadays, but by no means impossible to find.

It would be interesting to see a timeline developed showing helmets by theater and by month/year. Maybe as they went later in the war, the helmets lost their markings?

From the pics it seems like it's the other way around, the closer to the end of the war the more common the medical markings appear to have been. I agree it's a great idea if we manage to establish a time line.

LOL... are they trying to pick it up? How'd that happen? :lol:

according to the caption on the back, a German artillery attack blew that Dodge over like that. If you look closely,you'll see those medics are taking a tire off-maybe some of the other trucks got a flat in the same attack.

Hello,

It might be a good idea to post-it/stick/glue this topic (as well as ccmax's latest thread about camo helmets).

Kind regards, Gilles

Normandy.

contac12.jpg

August 3, 1944: A 4 year old French boy was wounded by German shrapnel. He has received aid & is now on his way to an American hospital.

post-2064-1265679227.jpg

100th Division arrived with medics helmets prominently marked but found they gave away the posits of their units. The medic on the left has toned down his helmet markings. La Salle area France, November 3, 1944

post-2064-1265679349.jpg

St. Lo front, July 21, 1944, Commanding Officer of an Infantry Company, Cpt John L. Strader, is removed by medics so his leg wounds can be treated. 35th Division

post-2064-1265679938.jpg

An ammunition bearer of the 28th Division, 110th Infantry Regt., hit by gunfire in Courson is placed on a litter by medics, August 3, 1944

post-2064-1265680298.jpg