.45 MAG POUCH WITH SURPRISE!

GCUSTER

I WON THIS POUCH BACK IN NOVEMBER HOPING IT WAS FROM WW11. THERE IS NO DATE ON THE BACK, BUT FOR $11.95 I THOUGHT WHAT THE HECK. THE LAST LINE OF THE DESCRIPTION SAID TWO MAGS WERE INCLUDED, SO I THREW CAUTION TO THE WIND!

GLENN

post-9561-1265341835.jpg

post-9561-1265341870.jpg

post-9561-1265341894.jpg

Nice....WW2 Scovill and M.S. Little Mags...!

But, I think the mags are stuffed in an M-1 Carbine Mag Pouch and not a .45 pouch......that should be easy to remedy though, plenty of them around.....

Excellent condition WWII contract magazines are increasingly harder to find and usually ask $50+ at shows. That letter font indicates late WWII production with welded baseplates.

I scored at the army surplus store today thanks to this post. They didn't have a ton of interesting stuff, but I glanced in a case full of police junk and there were two mags. Asked to look at them, and sure enough, letters on the base plate like this. One is that same Scovill, other has an R. Remington??? Gonna try to look and see what it is. $10 each, good shape. And I just paid $12 each for some new made good quality mags before I got to the surplus store!

Excellent condition WWII contract magazines are increasingly harder to find and usually ask $50+ at shows. That letter font indicates late WWII production with welded baseplates.

***Edit: Looks like it is a Risdon, with the R on top. I'm pretty pleased with this score.

I believe if they're stamped on top of the toe then they are made by that contractor for a government contract. If the are stamp on the bottom then they are made by that contractor for Colt for a goverment contract. Example CS on bottom would be Colt Riddson and so on.

MS Little produced WWII era magazines also, marked L. The C-X letters on the baseplate bottom indicate sent semi-finished to Colt by the mfr whose letter is stamped on the top and finished and assembled at Colt. I have two stamped S C-R where Scovill likely supplied some baseplates to Ridson. This thread shows some examples of WWII contractor and Colt subcontract marked magaznes:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=28256

craig_pickrall

It may be true that it was used as a .45 mag pouch late in it's life but you can see the outline on the inside flap where it spent a good part of it's time as a carbine mag pouch. The bottom plates are outlined in a rust pattern.

I'm with Blake, the size and pattern of the rust marks says 1911 mags to me, particularly on the edge of the flap on the right side, the rust/wear pattern there shows that it's been pulled tight on a pistol mag for some time.

THANKS GUYS FOR THE COMMENTS.

HOW DO YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE .45 POUCH & THE CARBINE POUCH?

GLENN

WWI .45 pouched had two lift the dot snaps. WWII pouches had an angular flap (like a grown up garand belt pouch flap) with one lift the dot snap. I think they also had a metal riser that stuck the peg for the left the dot snap out away from the pouch so that it wouldn't be difficult to snap shut if it was empty or had one mag in it. Postwar pouches have this feature, but are green and ave ALICE clips. The biggest give away is the proportion of the mag pockets. They are very tight to the 1911 mags. Some Marine Corps Carbine pouches have the angular flap, however, but are usually marked less, have wider mag pockets, and lack the metal riser for the stud if that is a characteristic of the WWII variety as well. I've got half a dozen WWI pouches, but not a single WWII pouch.