Reversed JR Gaunt Hat

EGA-DOG

Never seen another reversed hat emblem. I have a large set of this pattern, right and left, unfouled, that are three prong backed, for the epaulettes (as pictured in the 1912 regs) but, this is a new one for me.

btw...is this marked Gaunt? I am curious, as I have never seen anything attributing this pattern to Gaunt so far. I have many Gemsco, and some private jeweler marked versions. It looks theater made to me, kinda crude in certain details..not Gaunt quality.

Mike

Looks Gemsco to me except for the NA/SA hemisphere.I'm pretty sure it is O.S. made.It's just a hodge podge of different patterns.

I like it, and it is the first I have seen of an officer's device. I own two reversed "sand cast" enlisted devices and I think Belleauwood posted one as well. They too are fairly crude. Thanks for posting!

A first for me as well. I have this same type, i.e painted on brass, in the normal fashion. The AEF officers wearing the emblems on the right side of the o/s caps I always thought those were French-made or sand-cast emblems as Mike points out. There are no markings on the reverse.

USN_USMC_DOC_EGA_REV.jpg

USN_USMC_DOC_EGA_OBV.jpg

USN_USMC_DOC_EGA_Side_View.jpg

Just when we thought we knew everything! LOL

Thanks for sharing.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret
Looks Gemsco to me except for the NA/SA hemisphere.I'm pretty sure it is O.S. made.It's just a hodge podge of different patterns.

Its very exciting to see this rare bird - only the second one I've ever laid eyes on. And why they are so few around sorta defies imagination as they were certainly in use... as pictured, two of these gents are wearing what appears to be the similar or identical emblem. I agree with your observation about the maker. I for one would attribute the emblem to a Gemsco pattern without reservation. The outline of the continents are nearly if not identical to those with Gemsco hallmarked emblems beyond the 20's. The second feature attributed to this maker, the sculpted nature / pattern outline beneath the eagles wings, a character seen from Gemsco emblems well up to the pre WW2 period. Truly a center piece for anyone's emblem collection - thank you for taking the time to share with us all a highly desirable, sought after emblem! s/f Darrell

Eddy_right_emblem.jpg

Bobgee, here is one just like the one you have.We call them French copies.Not as in fake, but just made from another.

post-7989-1265312975.jpg

Bobgee, here is one just like the one you have.We call them French copies.Not as in fake, but just made from another.

EGA,

Are you saying this is a WW1 period copy? It does not look like one, a photo of the back would help. By the way, who are referring to when you say "we call them French copies"?

Mike