Early Pattern M1910 Pick Mattock and Cover

TrenchRaider1918

TrenchRaider1918

I recently acquired this M1910 Pick Mattock and cover, its has the distinctive feature of the early pattern equipment with flat strap buckle and square end. No markings the cover as it has been used but the pick itself only features the US stamped on the handle and back pick. It looks good against my early M1910 setup.

post-879-1265240586.jpg

Nice Carl, that's the first time I've ever seen an early M1910 pick mattock carrier! Looks good with your haversack, but it should be placed where the shovel is. Only one intrenching tool was carried at a time. I'm sure you already know that but I'm just mentioning that so other collectors don't get confused.

Nice pickup, very tough to find. Here is my pre-war M1910 entrenching tool collection. The shovel carrier is dated 1914 and the bolo sheath is dated 1911. The hatchet carrier and pick carrier are undated but have the green color and "flat" strap tip. The wire cutter carrier is also undated but has the "sleeve" for the belt hook. I still need to find a pre-war bolo!

Tim

post-192-1265497073.jpg

Very nice. Do you know when they stopped making them with the krag type hanger?

-Matt.

My "Krag type" pick carrier is dated 1908. I'm assuming when the M1910 stuff was adopted they stopped making the older gear. I have seen 1910 dated shovel covers, so I would guess that to be the last year of manufacture. I'll see if I can post picks of some of my carriers later.

Tim

Here are some of my other carriers. L to R, 1905 type marked RIA 1908, M1910 pea green pre war, Marine Corps type, British made WW2 and the last year of production, 1951 dated.

Tim

post-192-1265500070.jpg

TrenchRaider1918

Thanks for the replies, guys. Robinb, I noticed your pick cover features three rivets for closing the pick end and the large handle loop appears to be sewn off at the sides. Maybe this is earlier than mine as some 1900s gear featured rivets in their design. Just a speculation.