Inspected & Condemned

artu44

Finding this M1916 holster I had the insane idea to collect all rejects I can reach. I see people prefer to collect "good" stuff but ICs field is neverthless interesting. I casually bought an M1910 garrison belt marked this way and Robinb explained me the meaning of that marking and few months after a french buddy posted on our french forum an ethocel canteen by an unknown IC maker. It was a rejected ordinary AICO made canteen with logo effaced by the IC. Too bad I explained him the thing and he wouldn't sell that canteen no matter of money.

When holster will arrive I'll take better pics. It's unmarked and it looks from WWI era. The worker impressed two times the big US but functionally the holster is perfect. Maybe the inspector had a strong aesthetic sense (or it was before the 1917 september).

post-67-1265185172.jpg

post-67-1265185254.jpg

post-67-1265185267.jpg

Artu,

Thanks for posting these examples. I don't know if I have seen the "IC" stamp before or would have paid it much attention. I would have most likely thought it was the inspector's initials. Learn something new every day!

I wonder if maker's marking on the back was made on the loose attachement or when holster was finished and accepted.

BTW I cannot understand why my ribbons below stop at 2008 while gunbarrel has also 2009 and 2010. A case of ordinary injustice!!!!!

craig_pickrall

Arturo, I think it is Bob / Forum Support that attaches the ribbons. If you are missing some that are due then contact him.

It is very important that the member attach his forum user name along with what ever name is used when making the donation so that Bob will know where to award ribbons.

Sorry Craig, I suspect my donations stopped in 2008 but only because none alerted me when it's time for donations. Dont believe to the old tale that ligurian people is second only to scotsmen in being scrooge. I'll contact Bob in a hurry.

Just a little factoid, "IC" goes back to the Civil War and beyond. Also, during the war, the Union formed the Invalid Corps from combat Vets who were no longer capable of active service. They were used in depots, guard duty, etc.

I'm remembering this off the top of my head, so my details might be incorrect. Officially, the Invalid Corps uniform was to be opposite the regular uniform, ie., light blue jacket and dark blue trousers. Additionally, the brass emblem "IC" for Invalid Corps was to be worn. Both ideas were severely hated because they made the injured soldiers stand out as "Inspected & Condemmed". In the end, they wore uniforms/insignia just like any other soldier.

Tom

Just a little factoid, "IC" goes back to the Civil War and beyond. Also, during the war, the Union formed the Invalid Corps from combat Vets who were no longer capable of active service. They were used in depots, guard duty, etc.

I'm remembering this off the top of my head, so my details might be incorrect. Officially, the Invalid Corps uniform was to be opposite the regular uniform, ie., light blue jacket and dark blue trousers. Additionally, the brass emblem "IC" for Invalid Corps was to be worn. Both ideas were severely hated because they made the injured soldiers stand out as "Inspected & Condemmed". In the end, they wore uniforms/insignia just like any other soldier.

Tom

Nice tale Bob.

Tom

I believe that this is a major reason the Invalid Corps was renamed the Veteran Reserve Corps.

I believe that this is a major reason the Invalid Corps was renamed the Veteran Reserve Corps.

Absolutely!! I forgot that part.

Tom

BTW I cannot understand why my ribbons below stop at 2008 while gunbarrel has also 2009 and 2010. A case of ordinary injustice!!!!!

For crying out loud, Artu--would you like a little cheese with that whine? :lol:

I suspect my donations stopped in 2008 but only because none alerted me when it's time for donations. Dont believe to the old tale that ligurian people is second only to scotsmen in being scrooge. I'll contact Bob in a hurry.

Artu, I wish I could say that they contacted me because I'm special, but then you may have a coronary and I would have to live with all that guilt :pinch: Nobody contacted me either. At the beginning of the year for the past couple of years there has been an icon at the top of the USMF screen asking for donations; I clicked on them and the rest is history. :)

Guys, my surname is "hawkeye" I'm able to detect a deal on ebay standing even two feets away from my monitor but I missed that icon. That means icon wasn't interesting at all. Next time let try, as suggested, with a bottle of fine wine or better with a pretty chick in the range 45-55 years old.

• 3 years later...

Finding this M1916 holster I had the insane idea to collect all rejects I can reach. I see people prefer to collect "good" stuff but ICs field is neverthless interesting. I casually bought an M1910 garrison belt marked this way and Robinb explained me the meaning of that marking and few months after a french buddy posted on our french forum an ethocel canteen by an unknown IC maker. It was a rejected ordinary AICO made canteen with logo effaced by the IC. Too bad I explained him the thing and he wouldn't sell that canteen no matter of money.

When holster will arrive I'll take better pics. It's unmarked and it looks from WWI era. The worker impressed two times the big US but functionally the holster is perfect. Maybe the inspector had a strong aesthetic sense (or it was before the 1917 september).

The IC stamping and work of people responsible for it during WWII was many times irrational, incompetent, unprofessional, it was like officiousness without real inspection to find any defect. For instance -- did anybody in the US armed forces "was not a follower" (to put it mildly) of the Rutenber Electric company? Why mint CRS canteens of that company were IC stamped if they were (and still are) fully serviceable? On the other hand, why early WWII AGM-made M1910 canteens corroded completely, leaking and corroded throughout, literally punched by corrosion, had CS status. I have never seen such a poor, useless AGM canteen IC stamped, whereas I saw IC stamped Rutenber-made CRS canteens in ideal condition -- they may serve in WWIII ;)