55 days in Peking

happy

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great flick! It is one of the original "Road Show" movies of the 60" It was shown all in one night with a real intermission. The Sand Pebbles, Lawrence Of Arabia and The Sound of Music were all Road Show movies. You had to buy tickets weeks in advances in some cases. This has a great score by Dimitri Tomkin and the cinematography is larger that life. They don't make them like this any more.

The reason is, it was a gamble for the studios to make a movie this long and get the turnout to a 3-4 hour movie. If you have seen it on TV then you have not seen the whole movie. The Sand Pebbles for example is missing all most an hour that is still on the shelf. Why do you think Tarentino's Kill Bill 1 and Kill Bill 2 are 2 movies? Yes you've got it! Still some survive, Dancing With Wolves was one.

As far as I know, there is no DVD of 55 Days. The ones on flea bay are boot leg Chinese junk! Stay away form those. I have 2 copy's on VHS and neither are complete. There is still some deleted scenes on both depending which one you watch.

Anyways, 55 Days has some great action. I believe it's the only movie on the Boxer Rebellion ever made. Next to Will Penny it's my favorite Heston flick. Enjoy!

This is a great flick! It is one of the original "Road Show" movies of the 60" It was shown all in one night with a real intermission. The Sand Pebbles, Lawrence Of Arabia and The Sound of Music were all Road Show movies. You had to buy tickets weeks in advances in some cases. This has a great score by Dimitri Tomkin and the cinematography is larger that life. They don't make them like this any more.

The reason is, it was a gamble for the studios to make a movie this long and get the turnout to a 3-4 hour movie. If you have seen it on TV then you have not seen the whole movie. The Sand Pebbles for example is missing all most an hour that is still on the shelf. Why do you think Tarentino's Kill Bill 1 and Kill Bill 2 are 2 movies? Yes you've got it! Still some survive, Dancing With Wolves was one.

As far as I know, there is no DVD of 55 Days. The ones on flea bay are boot leg Chinese junk! Stay away form those. I have 2 copy's on VHS and neither are complete. There is still some deleted scenes on both depending which one you watch.

Anyways, 55 Days has some great action. I believe it's the only movie on the Boxer Rebellion ever made. Next to Will Penny it's my favorite Heston flick. Enjoy!

It's on DVD. I recently watched it from Netflix.

Bobgee

Great movie !! I'd like to see it again in its full length and restored beauty !!

Man...I remember seeing Sand Pebbles, Lawrence of Arabia, and Sound of Music in the theatre with intermissions !! And don't forget some other Charlton Heston "Road Show" movies that had intermissions...Ben Hur (another fav) and The 10 Commandments !! Ahhh the good ole days !!

Charlton Heston was a great guy ! I met him on several occasions and we talked quite a bit about some of my favorite Heston flicks like Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green and The Warlord. I loved Will Penny too...it was one of his personal favorites as well.

What can I say...I was a fan !!

Thanks,

Vic

hi Vic , did you notice the colt Pocket Pistol in the astrnaut gear in planet of the apes ??

happy

Great movie !! I'd like to see it again in its full length and restored beauty !!

Man...I remember seeing Sand Pebbles, Lawrence of Arabia, and Sound of Music in the theatre with intermissions !! And don't forget some other Charlton Heston "Road Show" movies that had intermissions...Ben Hur (another fav) and The 10 Commandments !! Ahhh the good ole days !!

Charlton Heston was a great guy ! I met him on several occasions and we talked quite a bit about some of my favorite Heston flicks like Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green and The Warlord. I loved Will Penny too...it was one of his personal favorites as well.

What can I say...I was a fan !!

Thanks,

Vic

howdy , just another quick shot in the Sandpepples , Steve McQueen adjusts his rear sight on the 1903 springfiel to shoot Mako did you guys see that evalution ??

happy

hi Vic , did you notice the colt Pocket Pistol in the astrnaut gear in planet of the apes ??

happy