Questionable WWI bullion observer badge

Guest Photographer

Guest Photographer

Got this at a flea market Saturday. Not sure what I have. I think they are military but the tag said gas station patch. I don't know anything about pre-WWII wings and I think these are WWI. they have been stiched to something at one time. What are they and do they have a value? They are about two inches wide and an inch tall. Are they shirt size wings?

post-951-1182678009.jpg

The design is that of a US WW1 Observer Wing. However, I don't care for the "look" of them (based on known originals and known fakes I have seen in the past). In my opinion, they're not from the period worn.

Kurt

Guest Photographer

OK thanks I guess I will chalk it up to live and learn... I don't have much in them.

I do like the bullion Flying A++hole wing you bought. The things that make me think it is good is the fact that there are no heavy thread sperations between the wing feathering. I would like to see the back of the wing it might tell a completely different tale. But from first look it looks good to me. It very well could be an enlisted grade wing, as there were some enlisted gunner who would have worn them. Let see the back Paul

Photographer,

I agree with Kurt, I don't really like the look of them, that having been said, they are different enough from most of the repros I have seen to leave a question mark hanging in my mind.

Please, if you have time, take some detailed close ups, especially from an angle so we can get some idea of the "depth" of the embroidery. Also, take some pictures of the back, so we can see the construction.

WW1 wings are a funny thing. Years ago, I had a set that I was certain were fakes, and I mailed them to Duncan Cambell. He thought they were good! So much of it is a judgement call when it comes to these things.

In the end, like I said, I agree with Kurt, but I still would like to see more photos.

Chris

OK thanks I guess I will chalk it up to live and learn... I don't have much in them.

Got this at a flea market Saturday. Not sure what I have. I think they are military but the tag said gas station patch. I don't know anything about pre-WWII wings and I think these are WWI. they have been stiched to something at one time. What are they and do they have a value? They are about two inches wide and an inch tall. Are they shirt size wings?

post-951-1182678009.jpg

Photographer,

To answer your questions:

- They are a half wing for observer

- They are full size for wear on the coat

- Real, and IDd they would be worth about $700

- Unquestionably real, but not IDd; about $500

- As they are not IDd, and there is a question as to their authenticity, most collectors would pay between $0 and $200 depending on how they felt about about them

Still want to see more pictures.

Chris