Ribbon help -

Jim Baker

Here is some info I found online:

Ruptured duck was a slang term for the Honorable Service Lapel Pin given American military service members who were discharged under honorable conditions during WWII. Other slang terms for the pin included "raped duck," etc.

The pin was awarded between September 1939 and December 1946 and was made of gilt brass, except during metal shortages during which it was made of gilt plastic. Service members who received the plastic version were later allowed to trade it in for the brass version.

Heres is some info on the medal:

(6) months; pacification campaign/operations in Luzon or Task Force "Lawin", "Isarog", "Saranay" and "Talna" and such other Task Forces for at least six months; and for service and participation from 4 July 1946 in law enforcement, military and civic-action operations in Luzon and waters immediately adjacent thereto for at least six months.

Since the Luzon Campaign ribbon was first awarded in 1946 I would not be concerned about it having both the ruptured duck & the luzon ribbon

Jim,

The medal was awarded for those actions, but what was the date it was actually available. You know what I mean? Was this guy already back home sitting in his easy chair when the medal was created? If I knew it was given to him while he was still actively in the service, I would feel much better about it.

Jim & C.O. two....

Maybe a stupid remark, but here it goes anyway; isn't it true sometimes the ribbons were already at hand before the medals came out?

Jim, does the jacket have a name in it?

Maybe that way you can ease your mind when you get info from NARA or so?

I can't explain - eventhough I'm into ETO - but this jacket "feels" right to me.

Erwin

(Justin, sell him that jacket and keep bugging both Jim and me with the good stuff, hehe)

The ribbon in question is the Philippine Independence ribbon and was not authorized until 1948. It is not the Luzon medal. How it could be on this uniform is a mystery. It was only authorized for those who received BOTH the Phil. Defense medal and Phil. Liberation medal or for certain US personnel in the Philippines working with them at the time etc.

It certainly was not available in 1945 or 46. Could the vet have added it later or what?

Check the earlier posts for the difference between the Philippine Independence ribbon and the Luzon ribbon.

You will see it is not the former.

Erwin

Erwin,

I think he is right about the prior awarding of the other two decorations. I also had questions about that. And if I'm reading that information correctly, the Luzon ribbon came into being in 1948.

I have looked at the ribbon threads, and the Ike jacket threads, and I have not seen this ribbon on any of the Pacific theater uniforms.

Too many questions for me. I'm going to pass on this one. :unsure: