Ribbon help -

Jim Baker

Jim to me it looks like a Philippine independce ribbon, but the red & white are reversed. It should have a white stripe in the middle & a red stripe on either side.

I checked and found "Defense Superior Service" as the meaning of this ribbon.

Established in 1976, the DSSM is awarded by the Secretary of Defense to military officers who perform superior meritorious service while in a position of significant responsibility with the Secretary of Defense, The Joint Chiefs of Staff, special or outstanding command in a Defense Agency, or while assigned to a joint activity. The services rendered will be similar to those required for the award of the Legion of Merit.

Defense Superior Service

Erwin

So far, I found nothing that resembles it (apart from the earlier mentioning of Philippine Independence).

Maybe this ribbon was added later to "color it up"?

Someone else here might have other information?

Erwin

Hi,

Was told this by another collector:

"The ribbon is for the Philippine Independence Medal. The Philippines received their sovereignty in 1948 IIRC. All soldiers, sailors and airmen who were in the Philippines on the date received the ribbon. In addition, anyone who had received both the Philippine Defense and the Philippine Liberation ribbons also qualified for the Philippine Independence ribbon. That helps to date your Ike jacket."

Anyone have a site with this info? Comments?

Here is the Luzon Campaign Ribbon superimposed on the photo of the ribbon bar.

BTW, this ribbon bar is on a 1st Cav Division Ike jacket.

I would like to get a good feeling for this one as the Ike has been offered to me. I guess what I'm asking is, would you guys feel confortable buying this one??

post-78-1182779692.jpg

post-78-1182779826.jpg

Jim I would feel comfortable buying this,everything seems to fit for a 1st cavalry division uniform. I especially like the fact that the ribbons appear to be wolf brown plastic coated ribbons. just my 2 cents thumbsup.gif

Jim,

I would not hesitate to buy it either.

It's a great looking jacket. thumbsup.gif

As for the ribbon; it makes more sense the ribbon being for the Luzon Campaign as the 1st Cav was there.

Deploying again by landing craft, 7th Cavalry Regiment landed at Luzon on January 27, 1945, where the regiment engaged until the end of the Luzon campaign on July 4, 1945.

Hope this helps,

Erwin

Thanks Guys.

Justin,

My brother was 1st Cav in VN, so it has a soft spot.

Erwin,

Thanks for that tid bit.

That one ribbon was the only thing bugging me. The cap is nice too.

A little off-topic, but Jim, I got a friend who was a Medical Officer in VN and flew with 1st Cav.

He treated the wounded returning from "Hamburger Hill" (101st AB).

If you're interested, I can give you some more info.

As for the jacket, I like the DUIs too.

Does it mean you will be leaving some Armor stuff for me - oh poor me - now? :D;)

Erwin

Does it mean you will be leaving some Armor stuff for me - oh poor me - now? :D;)

Erwin

Maybe after Justin breaks weak and sells ME that Majors uniform!! naughty.gif

I think he enjoys teasing, torturing, and flaunting it too much at the moment to let it go though. wink2.gif

Jim I would feel comfortable buying this,everything seems to fit for a 1st cavalry division uniform. I especially like the fact that the ribbons appear to be wolf brown plastic coated ribbons. just my 2 cents thumbsup.gif

Jim,

They are Wolfe Brown.

Anyone got anymore info on this Luzon Campaign ribbon? I would think this is pretty obscure??

Any others mounted on uniforms here???

CNY Militaria

While the major sits in my closet, I am not sure If I want to get rid of it, the ribbons are so nice, everything I consider moving it, the ribbons talk to me again.

There are about 15 more uniforms that need to be sold before this one. But knowing the rate at which I go through uniforms, that probably won't be long.

Justin

Good thing I just noticed this topic as I had the same question about this ribbon. I just purchased this MP SSgt jacket primarily because I liked the Wolfe-Brown ribbons. The SSI have been removed but the ghosts are of the Americal 23rd ID on "former combat" shoulder and the 7th ID on the left shoulder.

Ken

Edit: as Justin's younger eyes noted, this is not the same ribbon. Mine, as I finally got around to checking, is the Philippine Independence ribbon. Duh! Ignore my ignorance. :)

post-99-1182789265.jpg

post-99-1182789366.jpg

CNY Militaria

LUZON ANTI-DISSIDENCE CAMPAIGN MEDAL AND RIBBON

This medal is awarded to military personnel by the Chief of Staff, AFP, Commanders of Major Services and other units authorized to grant awards, for participation from 13 May 1948, in anti-smuggling/piracy and maritime law enforcement in Luzon and the waters immediately adjacent thereto for at least six (6) moths; pacification campaign/operations in Luzon or Task Force "Lawin", "Isarog", "Saranay" and "Talna" and such other Task Forces for at least six (6) months; and for service and participation from 4 July 1946 in law enforcement, military and civic-action operations in Luzon and waters immediately adjacent thereto for at least six months.

The medal is a disc with the Mayon Volcano in relief occupying the center. At the lower portyion of the disc is a lake and coconut tree. A star is place at the left and right of the medal. Embossed in are patter at the top is a phrase "For Service " while at the lower portion in arc is the phrase " Luzon Campaign".

The coconut tree with lake and Mayon Volcano stands for the island of Luzon, where campaign is launched.

The service ribbon has a red stripe in the center and white, blue and yellow stripes in that order on both extreme arranged in outward direction.

CNY Militaria

Ke, that may not be the Luzon ribbon, note hoe the white and red in the middle are reversed in compared to the Luzon shown above.

Ke, that may not be the Luzon ribbon, note hoe the white and red in the middle are reversed in compared to the Luzon shown above.

Good eye, Justin. I just checked, mine is the Philippine Independence ribbon. That'll teach me to post without having the item in hand! :)

Ken

Justin,

If the Luzon medal/ribbon has a date of institution of 1948, why would this Ike have a ruptured duck and this ribbon?

What were the dates the duck was worn? This damn ribbon is really bugging me and making me wonder about the Ike.

Here is some info I found online:

Ruptured duck was a slang term for the Honorable Service Lapel Pin given American military service members who were discharged under honorable conditions during WWII. Other slang terms for the pin included "raped duck," etc.

The pin was awarded between September 1939 and December 1946 and was made of gilt brass, except during metal shortages during which it was made of gilt plastic. Service members who received the plastic version were later allowed to trade it in for the brass version.

Heres is some info on the medal:

(6) months; pacification campaign/operations in Luzon or Task Force "Lawin", "Isarog", "Saranay" and "Talna" and such other Task Forces for at least six months; and for service and participation from 4 July 1946 in law enforcement, military and civic-action operations in Luzon and waters immediately adjacent thereto for at least six months.

Since the Luzon Campaign ribbon was first awarded in 1946 I would not be concerned about it having both the ruptured duck & the luzon ribbon