WW2 in HD

DaveS44

This was by far the greatest documentary I have ever seen on the subject. It was a 10-hour series narrated by Gary Sinise.

WW2 in HD

All original color footage converted to HD.

-Dave

I have seen bits and pieces of it, and I agree. Well done, and it is good to see the color as well. I have pre-ordered the DVD set as well. Looking forward to being able to watch it all the way through.

Is there a particular part of the series you liked the best? I am very curious. I own Apple TV, and this series can be downloaded/purchased in portions or as an entire package. Is it from the US perspective? (US only footage) ...or captured footage as well? THanks for the post! Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty amazed about it, too. I watched what I could (I'm a teacher, so I usually have grading to do and whatnot when I get home.) I just recently picked it up on DVD at Walmart for $20.

Just got the set on blue ray, and watched it over the weekend. Very well done, has a few too many shots of dead, rotting, bodies for me. I know war is hell, and ugly, but they show the same death pictures we have all seen in other shows. Other than that it is one of the best. The color is great and the interviews are honest and sometimes moving. Well worth the price.

Steve

Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered it!

Jim

I think you will be pleased with it. I know I was. I do scale models ( 1:6 scale mandollies ), and love the series just for some historical reference, proof, etc.. I love being able to grab screen shots, and so forth.

Not too mention the commentary and interviews from the actual vets.

I read a review from another board complaining that it has some good footage but that its often played repeatedly or entirely out of context.

So you'd hear the narrator talking about the D-Day invasion and they'd show footage of paratroops in North Africa. Or showing army troops when the narrator's talking about marines for example. Is this true? I hate documentaries that do that.

I read a review from another board complaining that it has some good footage but that its often played repeatedly or entirely out of context.

So you'd hear the narrator talking about the D-Day invasion and they'd show footage of paratroops in North Africa. Or showing army troops when the narrator's talking about marines for example. Is this true? I hate documentaries that do that.

Unfortunately, tis true. Only Con to the set in my opinion.

Got it, watched part of it (so far), ordered another copy for a history-teacher friend.

I think some of the complaints are legitimate, but understandable. There are lots of bodies shown, and some scenes are obviously out-of-context.

On the other hand, I think there is some value in that. Much of the target audience will have little experience with what the war involved. If you ask most people today under the age of 30 or so (maybe even 40 or so), they will have little knowledge of anything related to WWII beyond Anne Frank and SPR. I've heard people ask questions like, "When did we fight the Japanese?" (Don't even get me started on Korea . . . )

They didn't grow up surrounded by WWII veterans, hearing constant casual references to various experiences during the war. Growing up, my grade-school principal kept a well-worn Case M3 in his desk as a letter-opener; teachers would casually mention things they saw and places they visited in the army, navy, etc. The series has its bad points, but if nothing else it will raise questions in the minds of some, and at least expose others to some of what happened during the war.

As it is, I think the series is well-worth more than I paid for it. I do wish there could have been something similar done with WWI.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

Jim

Is there a particular part of the series you liked the best? I am very curious. I own Apple TV, and this series can be downloaded/purchased in portions or as an entire package. Is it from the US perspective? (US only footage) ...or captured footage as well? THanks for the post! Dan

The part I liked best was the emotion that you could see on the veterans faces when they were telling their stories. The things these men and women saw/ went through is unbelievable. The suicides at Saipan, I can't imagine witnessing that.

It has captured footage included. BTW Directv is currently re-running the series right now.

- Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Garandomatic

I think you have to give them a mulligan for out of context shots for what their mission was. Color footage is hard to find. I have an eye for detail, and I can watch the pictures and listen to the narrator and take it in separately. The footage and narration is very valuable, even it there were difficulties supporting all of the narration with on target footage.

Tank Jockey 38
This was by far the greatest documentary I have ever seen on the subject. It was a 10-hour series narrated by Gary Sinise.

WW2 in HD

All original color footage converted to HD.

-Dave

I really liked it.