46th Special Forces Thailand 1967-68 Yearbook

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I picked this book up at an auction a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised that I got it because there were two militaria dealers there that I was sure would outbid me. However, the auctioneer stuck this in a pile of old magazines and neither of the dealers bid on it and I got the pile for a lot less then I was even willing to go on it. I even managed to sell the rest of the pile and got my money back. As far as the book itself is concerned. It is in great shape with a lot of great period photos. The cover looks as if it is wrinkled but it actually has a thick pillow like cover on the book, does that even make sense? And I am not sure how many of these are around but I imagine there can't be many of them.

post-1412-1265085971.jpgpost-1412-1265085978.jpg

Awesome original find, however the information is around as the 1967, 68 and 73 yearbooks are available on CD from Radex press.

http://www.specialforcesbooks.com/46YrbkCD.htm

FYI, this is one of the main reasons I particularly like 46 Company uniforms. Of the 4 uniforms I have, I have photos of 3 of the troopers.

Manchu Warrior
Awesome original find, however the information is around as the 1967, 68 and 73 yearbooks are available on CD from Radex press.

http://www.specialforcesbooks.com/46YrbkCD.htm

FYI, this is one of the main reasons I particularly like 46 Company uniforms. Of the 4 uniforms I have, I have photos of 3 of the troopers.

I appreciate the information and did see the CD's from Radex press when I Googled the information last week. With that that said I could find no information on an original yearbook on the internet. And I was wondering if there is any information on how many of these were printed? Thanks

Manchu Warrior
I would say that an original is pretty rare and much sort after.

I appreciate the information. Thanks! :thumbsup:

A neat find. There are relatively few photos of the inhabitants of some of those more remote provinces during that period. Nan province was relatively remote until the 1980s. Today it is not so remote and offers some of the best motorcycling roads in the Kingdom.

I am going to guess that just like a high school yearbook these were custom ordered. If you want to estimate how many were printed, count the number of portraits in the book... and even then I bet not everyone ordered one.

This is the first one I have ever seen in 20 some years of Vietnam era collecting if that tells you anything. (Of course, maybe I was just looking in the wrong places!)

Manchu Warrior
I am going to guess that just like a high school yearbook these were custom ordered. If you want to estimate how many were printed, count the number of portraits in the book... and even then I bet not everyone ordered one.

This is the first one I have ever seen in 20 some years of Vietnam era collecting if that tells you anything. (Of course, maybe I was just looking in the wrong places!)

This is the information that is printed in the book as far as strength of unit,"To accomplish the mission of training the Royal Thai Volunteer Force for eventual deployment in Vietnam, the company requested and was authorized an augmentation force of 208 personnel. This increased the overall authorized unit strength to nearly 600 personnel." There are also photos of some of the Thai military personnel in the book and I am not sure if they were included in the overall total number. And with that information I suspect that there were fewer then 600 of these yearbooks printed. I also could not find any information on when and where the book was published. And I finally located it on the very last page, the book was published in Bangkok in 1968. And I spent the better part of my life in the printing industry and this book looks as if it was printed on an old Heidelberg letter press, and boy has that become a lost art. And a note to the couple of forum members asking if there were certain soldiers in this book. To my disappointment there are no soldiers by the names of Lewelling or Breen in the book.

• 1 month later...

sir

if you get a chance would you check your 46th special forces book for a SFC Charles Blitch. thanks and cant wait to hear from you.

• 4 weeks later...
Manchu Warrior
sir

if you get a chance would you check your 46th special forces book for a SFC Charles Blitch. thanks and cant wait to hear from you.

I did not see your post until yesterday and I even went to the link that was provided and I could not open any of the links for the photos of the yearbooks. With that said. I found your SFC Charles Blitch.

post-1412-1270331407.jpgpost-1412-1270331533.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Manchu Warrior

This is for the forum member that sent me a PM asking if a Lee Steward was in the yearbook. Well, good news and he was easy to find because he was on the third page.

post-1412-1271285005.jpgpost-1412-1271285095.jpg

• 11 months later...

Can you maybe se if you have a 46th SF Lt BOONE in your book?

Would be nice to se a face to the name, maybe you can post a photo.

I have the rest of his name here some were just need to find it.

Thanks.

Regards// Martin

Maybe Mr Manchu Warrior can help me here. ;)

Can you maybe se if you have a 46th SF Lt BOONE in your book?

Would be nice to se a face to the name, maybe you can post a photo.

I have the rest of his name here some were just need to find it.

Thanks.

Regards// Martin

Manchu Warrior
Maybe Mr Manchu Warrior can help me here. ;)

There is a Lt Tim Boone. Looks like he was a training officer for the S3.

post-1412-1302043102.jpg

I just realized that I had already posted a photo of Lt Boone. If you want to see the full page go back to when someone asked me about a SFC Lee Seward. Lt Boone is below him and to his left.