New York (and area) units - Fort Drum Event

Abby K-9

May 15, 2010 - Armed Forces Day

On Fort Drum, NY

The 10th Mountain Division & Fort Drum Historical Collection will be hosting a Military Timeline event on May 15, 2010, around its Heritage Center location, and is starting to look for units that may be interested in participating. This is a small event due to the fact that this is only the second year it has ever been held at the Fort Drum Heritage Center, but we are looking for units who are local or have a not-too-long drive to come and participate.

Set-up will be the day before, and break-down the day after. Camp sites will be set up around the Heritage Center, which has plenty of grassy spots in front and back for units to set up. During the daytime, reenactors will be able to use the facilities inside the Heritage Center, and at night, port-o-johns, water, straw, etc. will be provided by the museum. We are also working on getting reenactors access to one of the chow halls during the event for lunch/dinner. We should be able to provide shuttle bus service to/from the chow hall, too.

There is also a parade in downtown Watertown, and reenactors are encouraged to attend / march in it.

Any time period is welcome, but impressions must be relevant to either the 10th Mountain Division, Fort Drum, or the North Country. That means, no Roman Legionnaires, but any French and Indian War impressions, War of 1812, any units that trained at Pine Camp in the 1930s, 1st Special Service Force, etc. etc. Homefront impressions would also be very much welcome. Axis reenactors - yes, welcome, IF they portray one of the units the 10th Mountain Division fought in Italy OR would be willing to do a POW impression, as Pine Camp had German and Italian POWs during the war. Vehicles are welcome.

Because this is a small event and on base, units need to be approved by the board.

If anyone is interested in participating, or knows of local (or units close by) who'd like to attend, please send me a PM through the forum with your email. As I get more information on the event (what / when / details / etc.) I will add them here. If there are any specific questions, PLEASE post them, and I will pass them on to the board.

I am not a reenactor, but I'll be there to watch for sure!

:think: Maybe now would be a good time to become a reenactor? Hint. Hint.

On Fort Drum, NY

The 10th Mountain Division & Fort Drum Historical Collection will be hosting a Military Timeline event on May 15, 2010, around its Heritage Center location, and is starting to look for units that may be interested in participating. This is a small event due to the fact that this is only the second year it has ever been held at the Fort Drum Heritage Center, but we are looking for units who are local or have a not-too-long drive to come and participate.

Set-up will be the day before, and break-down the day after. Camp sites will be set up around the Heritage Center, which has plenty of grassy spots in front and back for units to set up. During the daytime, reenactors will be able to use the facilities inside the Heritage Center, and at night, port-o-johns, water, straw, etc. will be provided by the museum. We are also working on getting reenactors access to one of the chow halls during the event for lunch/dinner. We should be able to provide shuttle bus service to/from the chow hall, too.

There is also a parade in downtown Watertown, and reenactors are encouraged to attend / march in it..... [cut!]

How about posting contact information for groups that may want to participate...?

This SECOND post was a mitake. Cannot find a delete button. So please administrators erase this second posting for me!

Luis Ramos

On Fort Drum, NY

There is also a parade in downtown Watertown, and reenactors are encouraged to attend / march in it..... [cut!]

How about posting contact information for groups that may want to participate...?

I'm sorry - I thought I had already posted it in my original post. My mistake.

The primary contact for reenactors wanting to attend is Chris Crawford - email [email protected] or PM me through this forum. I will pass all unit information on to our museum curator, Mr. Kent Bolke, who overseas the event as a whole.

I'll let my daughter know about this, as her husband is there. She was raised doing Civil War Reenacting, and I wouldn't mind seeing the grand daughters doing that too. Are there many CW reenactors up that way? Given NYs views on gun laws :emba0005: how does one deal with pistols & revolvers there? In NV the Right to Possess Arms is in our State's Constitution at Art. 2, since 1864!

THX,

Tom

I'll let my daughter know about this, as her husband is there. She was raised doing Civil War Reenacting, and I wouldn't mind seeing the grand daughters doing that too. Are there many CW reenactors up that way? Given NYs views on gun laws :emba0005: how does one deal with pistols & revolvers there? In NV the Right to Possess Arms is in our State's Constitution at Art. 2, since 1864!

THX,

Tom

Tom - most guns are perfectly legal to own in New York, it's handguns (pistols, revolvers, etc.) and semi-automatic firearms where you run into issues. NY State requires you to apply for a permit to own pistols and semi-automatic firearms. As neither my DH nor I are New York "citizens" (we are stationed here, but our home of record remains Virginia), New York state will not give either of us a permit to own pistols, so they're in the arms room on base. We do have shotguns and bolt-action rifles aplenty, though, perfectly legal. Stinks for doing more modern time periods (Vietnam, for example), but such is life.

For NY residents, there is an application process to include fingerprinting and references before you get a pistol permit. Can take a while to get it, from what I've heard from those who have them - months (and months).

Tom - most guns are perfectly legal to own in New York, it's handguns (pistols, revolvers, etc.) and semi-automatic firearms where you run into issues. NY State requires you to apply for a permit to own pistols and semi-automatic firearms. As neither my DH nor I are New York "citizens" (we are stationed here, but our home of record remains Virginia), New York state will not give either of us a permit to own pistols, so they're in the arms room on base. We do have shotguns and bolt-action rifles aplenty, though, perfectly legal. Stinks for doing more modern time periods (Vietnam, for example), but such is life.

For NY residents, there is an application process to include fingerprinting and references before you get a pistol permit. Can take a while to get it, from what I've heard from those who have them - months (and months).

A few weeks ago I made a new friend in the Jeff Co Sherrif Office (a shooter too) and we spent several hours (dis)cussing NY Firearms Laws. I'm hoping the pending SCOTUS hearing (3/2/10) and rulings expected in June 2010 in Chicago will do away with most of their nonsense. I've taught pistol craft & survivability for years, and long arms in confined spaces are accidents in search of happenings, even with highly frangible ammo. Even being paraplegic and in a wheel chair, does not mitigate circumstances in getting a CCW. Ah, those wild 'n wacky New Yorkers!

Additional Event Information ... this is the "official" write up for units interested in participating. :)

Fort Drum Historical Timeline

May 15, 2010

Fort Drum, New York

Reenactors of all time periods are welcome, but all impressions must be relevant to the history of Fort Drum or the 10th Mountain Division. This means - no Roman Legionnaires, Landsknechte, Japanese infantry, etc. but impressions such as French & Indian War, War of 1812, Civil War, etc. are welcome. Axis reenactors (German & Italian) are welcome IF they portray units the 10th Mountain fought in World War II OR do POW impressions. Modern impressions - WWII, Cold War era, Haiti, Somalia, etc. are welcome and encouraged.

All units and individual reenactors (walk-around impressions are welcome!) must be registered to attend and be approved by the event board, as there is limited space available and personnel bringing weapons or vehicles must be on the access roster at the front gate in order to get on base. Reenactors are welcome to set up Friday and stay the night onto Sunday. The event itself is Saturday ONLY.

Space

Ample space is available for units to set up camp and displays around the perimeter of the Heritage Center building the museum is located in. We have two World War II tanks outside that units can set up with / around / next to if they would like. If anyone is bringing tracked or other heavy vehicles, concrete areas are available to place those, but they cannot be on the grass. Other vehicles (Jeeps, etc.) can be in the grassy areas.

Demonstrations

If your unit would like to do a demonstration for the public, such as rifle drill, a small mock battle, or the like, we will have a large grassy area sectioned off for this purpose. If your unit would like to do a talk or demonstration, please let us know so we can schedule them. If there is enough interest, we will have a night shoot - let us know if you would like to participate.

Amenities

Reenactors will have access to bathrooms and water fountains inside the Heritage Center day AND night, as well as Port-o-Johns and fresh drinking water (via hose) outdoors. We should also have a water buffalo with drinking water. Straw will be provided to units who request it - please let us know if you need any! A fire pit and firewood will be provided. We can run power out to the side of the building, if needed.

Food

Reenactors will be able to use the Dining Facility on base. Directions to the DFAC will be available at the event site. Shuttle will most likely NOT be available. Fast food is available at the PX food court and just off base outside the main gate.

Safety

Absolutely NO fires, cooking fires, smoking, or any type of open flame within 50 ft of the building. No propane. Please take your fire safety VERY seriously - this is a big issue during the dry May weather here at Fort Drum. NO alcohol during public hours and please keep the drinking to a minimum after hours. Please be responsible!

Firearms

Still looking to get 100% clarification from the Provost Marshal's Office on NYS law. Right now, we are asking people to bring only firearms legal without a permit in New York - black powder, shotguns, and bolt-action rifles. Pistols and semi-auto firearms require a New York permit. Weapons must be transported in a case of some kind (soft cases are fine) with ammunition separate. Absolutely NO live ammo of any kind. Blanks should be transported in ammo boxes / cases. All weapons must be locked up (stored in your vehicle) after hours.

Grenades / Flares / Pyro

Absolutely NO flares of any kind. Smoke grenades and hand grenades are welcome during the public demos. They must be safe and will be inspected. Baking soda hand grenades ONLY.

Parade

There will be a parade in downtown Watertown on Saturday morning for those wishing to participate. If your unit has extra people to watch your display back here AND participate in the parade, please let us know if you'd like to participate. We need to give the parade planners a head count and registration to be in the parade. No sudden decisions at the time of the event.

Heritage Center

The museum and gift shop are open to all reenactors during the event. Please note that the USO next to us is restricted to military ID card holders only (soldiers, retirees, and dependents), and will not be open to reenactors.

Point of Contact

Kent Bolke (Historical Collection Curator)

[email protected]

cell 315-408-6309

Chris Crawford (event coordinator)

[email protected]

cell 315-955-9896

CNY Militaria

Sounds like this is building up to be a nice event! You'll need to add in a military buy/sell/trade show though!! (just kidding of course).