WWII 34th Tank Battalion Group

George

This group of collar and rank insignia belonged to COL Thomas Bennet Bartel. This lot was sold on ebay in December 2008 and was part of a larger estate sold by COL Bartel's daughter. As far as I know, these were the only military items sold. The provenance of this lot was not identified in the ebay description. However, after I won it, the daughter gave the auction company permission to identify the name of her father. COL Bartel was a graduate of the West Point Class of 1936. He was in the 6th Cavalry in Fort Oglethorpe 1939-1940. Commanded the 34th Tank Battalion 1944 and was wounded at Normandy. According to information I obtained from West Point, he died September 6, 2000. This lot was interesting to me because I collect WWII Tank officers numbered "pickles." Included in this lot is a single cavalry officers 35th Cavalry collar insignia. Can anyone help me with information about this cavalry unit?

post-8185-1265064725.jpg

35th Cav Rcn Sq (Mech) was an element of the 2nd Cavalry Division, a segregated division at the time. The sq was activated 1 Jan 44 Ft. Clark TX and inactivated 25 Mar 44 N. Africa.