My Grandfather

collectorgirl

collectorgirl

I wanted to share a photo of my grandfather John R. Carter. He was in the Navy during WW2 and he was there at the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Sadly, I never got a chance to know him since he passed away when I was a baby. Sorry about the crease in the photo, it is an old photo and sadly wasn't well taken care of. I do have a question though and maybe someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. There is a number on the back of the photo, it is 20478. I was wondering if that number would mean anything and if I could possibly try to use that number to get his records? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

post-5914-1264910701.jpg

The numbers on the back of the photos are either from the photographer or hand colorer. I think they are like order numbers. Similar photo's I have that are hand tinted also have information written like eye and hair color, most likely yours would too. My photo's are from the late 50's and I know service numbers of the men and they don't match the photo backs.

That's a very nice photo of your grandfather.

The numbers are indeed the "batch numbers" (or how it's called) of the photos themselves.

Erwin