EGA's picked up from a SW FL show

I've seen the army-style collar disks with applied EGAs before but have been told they were all fakes, made after WWII with EGAs from sweetheart jewelry. Not sure if this is true or not, but since the EGAs appear very similar and the disks are usually fairly common ones otherwise, I'm inclined to believe they're not legit.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

William,

I am sorry brother, but these all range from fantasy (never existed) or are reproductions. You display a full range of them. I believe all but one of these have been thoroughly discussed on the forum and identified as repros. I'd go get my money back if you purchased these. If not, stay away.

Mike

Mike Manifor
Buying and selling Military Antiques. Specializing in hat and collar insignia (EGAs) of the USMC.
Top dollar paid.
info@eagleglobeandanchor.com
My website:www.eagleglobeandanchor.com

Visit my EGA reference section: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/EGA_Reference_Section.html

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

William,

I am sorry brother, but these all range from fantasy (never existed) or are reproductions. You display a full range of them. I believe all but one of these have been thoroughly discussed on the forum and identified as repros. I'd go get my money back if you purchased these. If not, stay away.

Mike

Mike,

I was pretty sure about them ( to be repro or fantasy)... this guy has a lot of Marine Corps stuff.... all mixed up, good and bad so, I'm gonna apply my #1 rule... "If you don't know... don't buy"...Thanks for your expertise

william

www.williamsmilitarycollectibles.com

Gaunt I thought was sweetheart. That second set of discs does appear to have WWII sweetheart EGAs attached. the last is a known fake, but interesting at least. if you got it cheap, it looks good in a motivational wall display in say the living room, on a plaque, etc. I keep fantasties I get cheap just for decoration around the house

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

William,

Yes they are all known fantasy, based off of the french pattern of WW1. Interesting these were all together being sold by one individual. You normally see one or two, but all of these bad pieces together makes you wonder who the guy was. On the discs with the EGAs...the discs are real, just the EGAs have been added. Some want so bad for these to be real, they are made up. The sweetheart, in my opinion, might have a chance, but again, I believe that the piece is OK but that the Gaunt mark is spurious. Many of these still go for big money at private auctions (thats where you always see them now).

Mike

Mike Manifor
Buying and selling Military Antiques. Specializing in hat and collar insignia (EGAs) of the USMC.
Top dollar paid.

Visit my EGA reference section: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/EGA_Reference_Section.html

Thanks to you all for your expertise, too bad they are repro pieces, they look great, I'm pretty sure they will make a score on ebay... but... well honesty doesn't pay....

so I will stay away from them. This guy told me he bought them from a Marine Corps retired Sgt Major in the late 80's..???

he is supposed to come to my shop with some early silver and gold officer EGA's set, hopefully they will be legit this time... who knows..

I have been able to picked up a nice WWII enlisted full set in plastic... finally :rolleyes:

william

post-6240-1265071819.jpg

post-6240-1265071845.jpg

www.williamsmilitarycollectibles.com

You know, I have collected Marine Corps and EGAs for some time, and have never had a set of the plastics come my way... maybe one day. Yours look nice.

Mike Manifor
Top dollar paid.

I recently sold a set of plastics...they went quicker than I'd've thought

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 5 months later...

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)