Dog Tags of friends and family

mrhell

I have always been impressed with service information forums members are able to provide. So I'm hoping to learn some details regarding the three sets of dog tags I own.

The first two sets were friends of my family and both men were and are still very highly regarded. A fine example growing up.

This WWI tag was my Great-Grandfather's. He immigrated from Yugoslavia and was later drafted. I know he was a sergeant and was told he served as an Engineer.

All six photobucket images have been removed by member.

post-50776-0-87563500-1400112379.png

The upper set for Clark are obviously US Navy Reserve (USNR) and by the shape which was used by the Navy and Marines. There is his seriel number. The "T" is for Tetnus. It should have a two didget number following it to indicate when he got the shot.

These tags are on the late wat wire cable. Originally, the tags were worn on a cloth string, then the chain seen in the lower set of tags. However, it was found that due to the nature of Naval warfare, the cloth strings and chains did not survive. Understand that casualties in a sea battle were generally from very large explosions followed by intense fire. These wire cables replaced the other "carriers and were designed to withstand heat to 2000 degrees F. Interestingly, another item the Navy found was that the Sailors belts also seemed to remain more or less intact and started requireing Sailors to stencil their names and numbers on the insied of their belts to help with casualty identification. Some what grusone, but that was the reason for dog tags in the first place.

Steve Hesson

My crystal ball is a little cloudy. Can you confirm:

1. Was the first person's name "Chester Seely Clark" or was it "Clark Chester Seely" What is the actual last name?

2. Do you know the first name of Mr. Rahmeyer? Was it Lawrence A. Rahmeyer, DOB 24FEB10, DOD 21DEC95 in Michigan?

Dave

Perhaps a bit more information could help...any chance to get any more biographical information on any of these guys? How about a place of residence?

I hold a Joseph Yeglic DOB 15MAR87 and DOD OCT74 in New Baltimore, MI

Am I close?

Dave

Sorry Dave, I should have included:

First sets name is: Clark C. (Chester) Seely I believe he was involved with military law. (i.e. lawyer), and lived in the Anchorville, MI area. His father was a prominent Judge also.

Larry Rahmeyer I think was in the Air Corps as some sort of clerk during WWII. I think he was from IL originally and lived post war in southeast MI.

"I hold a Joseph Yeglic DOB 15MAR87 and DOD OCT74 in New Baltimore, MI"

Yes Joseph Yeglic is correct and his 74' death is also correct. No idea what "DOB 15MAR87" stands for. He lived in Detroit, MI after the war and retired with Ford Motor Company. I also would like to add that he had a Son, Joe Yeglic, that served in WWII as either a medic or corpsman. "Uncle Joe" as I knew him never taked about the war as I have heard he saw terrible things. Not sure if he was a Joe Jr. or not, but he also lived downriver of Detroit for the rest of his life.

I hope these additional details are helpful and I appreciate the feedback guys. THANK YOU.

Sorry Dave, I should have included:

First sets name is: Clark C. (Chester) Seely I believe he was involved with military law. (i.e. lawyer), and lived in the Anchorville, MI area. His father was a prominent Judge also.

Larry Rahmeyer I think was in the Air Corps as some sort of clerk during WWII. I think he was from IL originally and lived post war in southeast MI.

"I hold a Joseph Yeglic DOB 15MAR87 and DOD OCT74 in New Baltimore, MI"

Yes Joseph Yeglic is correct and his 74' death is also correct. No idea what "DOB 15MAR87" stands for. He lived in Detroit, MI after the war and retired with Ford Motor Company. I also would like to add that he had a Son, Joe Yeglic, that served in WWII as either a medic or corpsman. "Uncle Joe" as I knew him never taked about the war as I have heard he saw terrible things. Not sure if he was a Joe Jr. or not, but he also lived downriver of Detroit for the rest of his life.

I hope these additional details are helpful and I appreciate the feedback guys. THANK YOU.

Ahhh...the crystal ball has become more clear!

Clark Seely was born (DOB) on 25MAY12 and he died in DEC80 in Anchorville, MI. Am I right? He was Jr., because his father was Clark C. Seely, born in 1886.

Larry Rahmeyer doesn't pop in the NARA enlistment database...kinda odd...

More to follow if I can find it....

Dave

Yes, I must not be fully awake yet... -_- Well if it will help, "Lawrence" Rahmeyer served in Europe, Germany to be specific because I also have four medals of his, although his name is not on the back. 1. Army good conduct - 2. European Theater with "Germany" badge - 3. American Campaign and 4. Army Occupation

I guess what I'm looking for with all three tags are service dates, region served and when, and any additional details about their military experience. Again, thank you.