FIRST SPECIAL SERVICE FORCE - UK

jumpwings

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Ye'll have to watch to very near the end to see O'Niel, and it's only breif, but I'm sure ye'll find more in the other films listed...

As ye said earlier Phil, as someone comes at ye wi a knife screaming and angry, they have "lost it" and controlled agression is the key...Just for a bit of entertainment, a show of, well, have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpf1YO26MBM...feature=related

Further to our chat this morning Phil, I think the Force wouldn't have managed to sneak up on a German sentry in the dark of night, slit his throat, and calmly leave a sticker on the body had he ran up screaming and shouting, the Force where taught stealth, and controlled agression...

Right guys, how about next week we get every conceivable brand new piece of kit a Forceman would have been issued and do a photoshoot?

I was talking about bayonet training, not knife fighting or sentry stalking.

Bayonet fighting is not stealthy.

Changing topics from bayonet training to sentry take-out is apples and oranges.

Don't know how you got confused.

Rock

Rock

Aggression is the key to winning in hand-to-hand, knife and bayonet fighting

Guest Alaskan Scout

FSSF International !

16058410.jpg

They have one of these pack boards for sale near me for 50$..Looks to be in pretty good shape after I inspected it..Just needs the bottom straps to the shoulder straps replaced as they are missing...Other then that its sound...

Does 50$ sound like a good price?

TIA...

forcemanchris
FSSF International !

16058410.jpg

They have one of these pack boards for sale near me for 50$..Looks to be in pretty good shape after I inspected it..Just needs the botton straps to the shoulder straps replaced as they are missing...Other then that its sound...

Does 50$ sound liek a good price?

TIA...

That is about the right price, wouldn't want to pay more if bits are missing

Rock

Ahh right, DOH...It was the ref to "spreading butter", one don't spread butter wi a knife on the end of a stick...In Ollies defense, he is 15 years old, and even having been with us since he was 8, he is still camera shy, though he is getting good wi the public now his confidence is building, give him time!

The Canadians brought bayonet training to the Force, though they never used it in the field, in actual fact, it was rarely used at all in WWII, but was good for training...Some Force bayonet practised in the youtube listed is a bit of a joke, did ye see it?

Guiles, some old photos there mate, hey, I don't wear glasses now, got me eyes zapped and can see now!!

$50 for a packboard?...Sounds good, buy it!

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Ahh right, DOH...It was the ref to "spreading butter", one don't spread butter wi a knife on the end of a stick...In Ollies defense, he is 15 years old, and even having been with us since he was 8, he is still camera shy, though he is getting good wi the public now his confidence is building, give him time!

The Canadians brought bayonet training to the Force, though they never used it in the field, in actual fact, it was rarely used at all in WWII, but was good for training...Some Force bayonet practised in the youtube listed is a bit of a joke, did ye see it?

Guiles, some old photos there mate, hey, I don't wear glasses now, got me eyes zapped and can see now!!

$50 for a packboard?...Sounds good, buy it!

Let me know when you've gone through an actual bayonet course, hitting actual targets with a bayonet and then get back to me. When you find out that it's obvious that he's holding the rifle with the firmness of a butter knife that might not make it through a stick of soft butter before he loses grip of the rifle, then you will see what I mean.

He's 15 (some wwii heroes lied about their age), he may not be military trained I'm guessing and that's fine; based upon your comments he will never learn, and based upon your past statements, it's not important.

While close quarters combat wasn't that common in WWII, it was prevalent enough. There is only one loser in close quarters combat and it often starts with a state of mind and an aggressive attitude.

The spirit of the bayonet in the real world is: TO KILL!

The spirit of the bayonet in reenacting is: to pose with a posture of timidity and obvious lack of self assurance so that people can take a black and white picture like they saw in a book. Note to self- most soldiers didn't actually use a bayonet in combat so this topic isn't that important so we should not accept constructive criticism, especially from someone who knows about close quarters combat. After all, we're reenactors and take a dim view of others because we're experts. See! I wear an authentic WWII expert infantrymans badge and British Jump Wings given to me by a veteran. Now I really look like I know what I'm doing. I read a book, bought the uniforms and climbed a real mountain....

Rock

Guest Alaskan Scout

Guys..Thanks for the advice on the packboard....Its appriciated!

However the endless replies regarding reenacting, bayonets and the reals and fakes of it is getting old...Everytime i get a reply i look to see if Ive gotten some mre great advice and its your one upper posts...For the sake of the thread, please agree to disagree and stow the fighting...

Thanks...

AK Scout

(yes i was a Scout in the Army, Yes im in Alaska now)

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

However the endless replies regarding reenacting, bayonets and the reals and fakes of it is getting old...Everytime i get a reply i look to see if Ive gotten some mre great advice and its your one upper posts...For the sake of the thread, please agree to disagree and stow the fighting...

Thanks...

AK Scout

:)

Thank

AK Scout

Yer right mate, but these people who have been in a modern army and haven't left (in their minds) just go on and on...

Rock, wind it in dude, and post some actual WWII photos which show the same, you will find them (I notice ye posted one, and it don't look very agressive to me), but really, making a critique and then basing yer critique and giving examples from a modern army is base in the least, this is "WWII RE-ENACTMENT" not some army club for ex serving types to get their rocks off and play at soldiers...

As for your vailed charge, well...

I am not going to say in our group who;

What father and son are VERY competent in hand to hand (and well versed in O'Niel's methods of ju-jitsu)...

Who has served...And...

Who has faced a life and death situation without any army buddies to watch his back, fighting for his life, his wife and his unborn child, without screaming and showing his teeth, with kitchen knifes, in the middle of an African hostile country...

No I won't do that...

The picture of the young kid was posed, and that pose was based on the very same picture in the supercommandos, not a recreation of any army drill the young lad might or might not have had in the Army, or in his case it would be the Army cadets...

anyway, all by the by, here is some photos from a quick search on the internet of more posed photos of bayonet drill taken at the time that our actual re-enacting is based on (Oand not a modern army), complete with teeth bearing screaming aggressiveness (sic):

http://ibiblio.net/hyperwar/USA/USA-SS-Can...Canada-p263.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VsPSgPTQicc/SYc_...Lec/s400/14.jpg

http://www.in.gov/library/exhibits/ww2/ISL_356s_bayonet.jpg

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/weapo...Japanese/dwyer-1.jpg

We're all playing a soldiers bud, and it's just pretend...I guess it's even a bigger pretend when dressed up in a nice clean airborne combat uniform with every concievable accoutrement strapped to yer leg holding a Nazi flag effecting a big cheezy grin...

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

"We're all playing a soldiers bud, and it's just pretend...I guess it's even a bigger pretend when dressed up in a nice clean airborne combat uniform with every concievable accoutrement strapped to yer leg holding a Nazi flag effecting a big cheezy grin..."

I'm not playing because it was too cheezy. Got sick of the excuses like "it's just reenacting" and the fake NCO's not traiing their people. Got sick of civilians and former soldiers of all generations saying that some of the guys don't look or act like soldiers. I've said it over and over; what's important or real to soldiers is overlooked by reenactors.

Note that the guys in your wwii examples are mostly posing for pictures. Not the guys striking the dummies. Your guy was supposed to be lunging at the dummy. Posted the pictures on Paratroopers Index and the picture is just as apparent to them as me. Not many WWII Veterans but there are guys from Korea to current military, if that's what you call "modern". As if all training and techniques changed after 1945. Basic infantry tactics and techniques are similar or the same as WWII but with some modifications and additions. Like it or not, the US Army still taught the same stuff to me as they did in WWII. I even used WWII equipment during my stint.

BTW, I got out of the Army over 20 years ago and joined nearly 30 years ago. We still strung commo wire, planted mines, and called for artillery with 1950/1960's equipment and yes we even learned hand-to-hand combat, sentry take-downs, knife fighting and even Bayonet Training- which hasn't really changed much since WWII.

But then again, if you actually knew WWII tactics and techniques you would know that.

Rock

what's important or real to soldiers is overlooked by reenactors.

Rock

And therein lies the main diference...

Let's juxtapose that for a moment:

"What's important or real to re-enactors is overlooked by (ex) soldiers"....

And therein lies the essence of "re-enacting"....

The crux of the biscuit as it where....

Or as one chap said "the apostrophe"....

Those photos were recreations of actual posed photos taken of Forcemen in training during WWII. Somewhere in my archives at home I've got a copy of the original. It isn't the recreators' inaccuracy in this case. Merely a recreation of what was most likely Joe saying "are you kiddin me, you want me to do what?"

Jon

Spot on you understand what the photos are about. Re-creations of actual posed photos obviously it helps if you have seen the actual photos. if not your just pissing in the wind. :think:

forcemanchris

In 2006 myself and Paul Dray traveled to Italy for a field trip. The hospitallity was out of this world. We were guests of Angelo who lives at the base of La Difensa.

On the first day we climbed Camino, once on top we settled in for the night, not before we had a good look round.

In the morning we started off for La Difensa, where it took us the best part of the day. We set up camp, and spent three days living on rations and having a good look round at all the positions on top and around the surrounding area. There is still so much left just below the surface, and we did find some interesting items up there. One in particular a Tommy cooker. Did the Force Cananians have them, or was it used by the Germans, taken from dead British soldiers, who knows.

Anyway just a few photo's of the trip

Italy12006.jpg

Italy42006.jpg

Italy72006.jpg

Italy32006.jpg

Italy22006.jpg

Italy172006.jpg

Italy112006.jpg

Italy102006.jpg

Italy122006.jpg

That is amazing on the spot reenactment.

Wasnt the FSSF plaque sponsored and put up by you guys ?

3 days up there on WW2 rations must have been quite an experience.

Thanks for including the picture of the relics.

I remember you mentioning that cave where Major Thomas

was treated after his bayonet wound, do you have a picture ?

Kind regards, Gilles

Gilles, the plaque was sponsored by John Dallimore, him and Kyle McNally brought it over from Canada and we took it up there, placed it on the north face, where it still is...There's Rye bottle up there next the plaque weith notes and signaitures, evertyime we go there, sign it, comments, and locations of dugouts etc...

Just got this comment in from a well known Brit re-enactor:

"I would guess these pictures have done wonders for the recruiting.

Fantastic Tribute to the men of the First Special Service Force!!"

:thumbsup:

Gilles, the plaque was sponsored by John Dallimore, him and Kyle McNally brought it over from Canada

:thumbsup:

Reenactment at it's best.

FSSF International!

Proud to be a member of the Southern France Outpost.

When is your next trip to Kiska Paul :) ?

Kind regards, Gilles

I thought I'd add these 2 shots taken by two young Force enthusiasts

in France. Pictures were taken in the Vosges mountains of France last weekend.

anzio_12.jpg

anzio_11.jpg

anzio_10.jpg

forcemanchris

We are plaining another trip to Italy in August, if ant of the international groups want to join us you are more than welcome.

Just contact me or Paul.

We are plaining another trip to Italy in August, if ant of the international groups want to join us you are more than welcome.

Just contact me or Paul.

Ssshhhh, don't tell Bruno :lol: