paratrooper wing pattern id

bjsmith7474

Has anyone run past this pattern before? It has less lines than the standard pattern I've seen before from other makers. As you can see, it's marked sterling and has a brass pinback.

post-8273-1264731185.jpg

Dont know the pattern or the maker but I like it.Would like to add one to the collection someday.Another item to look for at the shows

RD

bjsmith7474,

I have always considered this the most attractive pattern of jump wing,and the style of chute is definitely not of Yarborough's patented design. Quite awhile ago I was told that they were made by the Officer's Equipment Co., and were WWII. I haven't been able to confirm that though. Both pairs that I have are bowed, and I thought that was the way they came. I see that yours are flat. I will be very interested to see what develops on this.

Jim

I have a very similar pair of wings, marked Officers Equip. Co., but not STERLING. They also have a post and clutch fastening, with the dimpled clutches (silver color) marked PAT NOS. etc. The seller said these were wartime, but the clutch fasteners would seem to point to a later date.

I bought these in 1969 from the ever-shrinking inventory of Officers' Equipment Company, in a garage in Madison NJ. The firm was on its last legs then, and the man I bought from, either the owner or one of the owners, was quite elderly. BTW OEC was a mail-order operation that specialized in USMC, with mainly officers as clients, as it was good about extending credit to newly-commissioned Marines and shipping to FPO addresses, from IIRC the 1920's on. I doubt that they ever had a retail store...??

The man explained that this style of wing was popular with Parachute Marines and that OEC owned the dies, "somewhere". There were about 30 sets in the box I found.

At the same time I bought a pair of gold USN/USMC wings, gold-washed sterling on a V.H. Blackinton & Co. card.

He said the silver wings came first, made up at the behest of Lakehurst NAS NJ, and that the gold wings were made at the request of the "California Paramarines", but then were "big" at Quantico. He thought the silver ones were from 1943 and the gold ones were from 1944.

Has anyone run past this pattern before? It has less lines than the standard pattern I've seen before from other makers. As you can see, it's marked sterling and has a brass pinback.

post-8273-1264731185.jpg

I like it as well. The lesser number of shroud lines makes a nice, clean appearance. The faint outline of the back of the canopy is also a nice touch.

Just to toss in a comment on this pattern wing- I got the one in my collection from a former officer of the 460th PFA when they had their national reunion in Kansas City Mo in 1994. He believed that he ordered them from a catalog while he was in Italy!

I have encountered this wing at shows that were maker stamped "Officer's Equipment Co." and have observed them with added stars for senior parachutist and star and wreath for Master parachutist. The devices were silver soldered to the tops of the canopies and not the product of seperate dies.

Allan

I have one of these that is marked Officers Equipment Co.

Bob do you think you can post a front and back shot?

Thanks

John

Can-do, but you'll have to wait til monday for it - I left my camera at work at it's an action packed weekend of racing my 4 kids to their various events.

Here is a photograph of my wing which was one of my first paratrooper wings. It came off of a very beat up enlisted USMC Vandegrift jacket. It was full of holes and I didn't know better then but took off the chevrons, ribbons and cut out the laundry tag with a name on it. It has been so long ago that I have misplaced these items. Since the Vandegrift jackets were post war and I've seen senior and master grade versions of this particular pattern of wing I always thought they were post war. I've included scans I got off of eBay of the senior and master grade versions of this pattern wing.

post-1389-1264919344.jpg

post-1389-1264919351.jpg

post-1389-1264919360.jpg

post-1389-1264919367.jpg

Great wings, I too want a set of basic and master wings. I would wear the master wings if I could find a set!

I would think that the same die would have been used to make wings during and after WWII. The pin or post/ clutches were add ons after the wing was die struck. The type of pin may indicate the time period of manufacture with the pin assumed to be earlier.

Very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a photograph of my wing which was one of my first paratrooper wings. It came off of a very beat up enlisted USMC Vandegrift jacket. It was full of holes and I didn't know better then but took off the chevrons, ribbons and cut out the laundry tag with a name on it. It has been so long ago that I have misplaced these items. Since the Vandegrift jackets were post war and I've seen senior and master grade versions of this particular pattern of wing I always thought they were post war. I've included scans I got off of eBay of the senior and master grade versions of this pattern wing.

I think they are great, something new to look for to add to my collection. Thanks for sharing.
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY, EVER DAY, AIRBORNE
GERONIMO
John