Navy rating badges signed & dated

topdcnut

I hope that this series of posts becomes a useful tool as I see often that the myth of the lady who signed her sailors patch still is active in collecting circles.

The lady pictured is off of an early 20's wrapper from from rating badges made by the Liona or Lion brothers company, the patches in these envelopes were produced for those middies that were so popular with the ladies especially after WW1. These rates were identical in construction to the patches sold to sailors but with different color combinations and I think in some casses totally identical, these patches are also the source of some of the so called CPO jumpers on ebay and the antique malls. The yellow tag dates from the late 40's or early 50's and pretty much explain the myth of the lovely Liona's signature.

Also posted are other liona examples and other styles, I cannot put togather an exhaustive or comprehensive work and it is my hope that other collectors will fill in any gaps.

I look forward to seeing were this goes and what others have to share from thier collections and hopefully getting this pinned as a reference.

V/R John

post-2723-1264726198.jpg

post-2723-1264726223.jpg

Nice rate, I found mine. It was debated for years about these really being dates or stock numbers. I believe they are dated from that year if you look closely at the chevrons you will see they differ from the embriodery used from the 50's onward. I also have a Torpedomans mate 2cl of the same construction on a custom tailored jumper with a wool service stripe and a PT shoulder patch which dates from 44-47.

John

post-2723-1264730533.jpg

post-2723-1264730545.jpg

Nice rate, I found mine. It was debated for years about these really being dates or stock numbers. I believe they are dated from that year if you look closely at the chevrons you will see they differ from the embriodery used from the 50's onward. I also have a Torpedomans mate 2cl of the same construction on a custom tailored jumper with a wool service stripe and a PT shoulder patch which dates from 44-47.

John

I got several of these at the Allentown show last year. A guy had a box of them, so I grabbed one of each. The celophane was coming off of some of the rates, so they were definately old stock.

-Ski