Navy rating badges signed & dated

topdcnut

• 1 year later...

To add to the original topic, the Nuclear Weaponsman rating was not introduced until 1957, so Lion Brothers was still signing rates as late as that year, as demonstrated by these two examples I just acquired.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add to the original topic, the Nuclear Weaponsman rating was not introduced until 1957, so Lion Brothers was still signing rates as late as that year, as demonstrated by these two examples I just acquired.

909e60dd3f6049ac0949add82e57fec4.jpg

Yet one more example of applied chevron rates NOT being WW2. I have a left sleeve SMC crow, for Khakis, that has applied chevrons and spear points on the crossed Signal Flags. Since its a left sleeve crow, it is no earlier that 1958 (SM rate abolished in 1948, revived in 1958). Plus, I was always told SM rates with spear point flag stars, were CG. Nope, CG abolished SM in 48 (Right Arm), and did not bring them back as the Navy did.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
David Minton
I've never run across PamCraft before. Nice.

I missed out on a billion example on eBay recently.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know what the "C" stands for?

I believe a seller by the name of Panama Dave told me back around 2006, but, I can't find it in any of my note files.

C-makers mark.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 6:07 PM, sigsaye said:

.Any chance Lion Brothers had a stash of rating badges without specialty marks and just embroidered the specialty as the orders came in?

I know this happened fairly frequently for the "diamond ratings" of WWII and early 1950s.

Might help explain the occasional "applied chevrons" found later in the 1950s and early 1960s.

-dan

Yet one more example of applied chevron rates NOT being WW2. I have a left sleeve SMC crow, for Khakis, that has applied chevrons and spear points on the crossed Signal Flags. Since its a left sleeve crow, it is no earlier that 1958 (SM rate abolished in 1948, revived in 1958). Plus, I was always told SM rates with spear point flag stars, were CG. Nope, CG abolished SM in 48 (Right Arm), and did not bring them back as the Navy did.

• 5 months later...
David Minton

I picked up this Apprentice Petty Officer 2c (1933-48) and do not recognize the embroidery on the back. Any ideas?
34b2e4b89e0235e738c0e97fd420dfb4.jpg
7d37156e7b0256e474ed09d0cbee12b9.jpg
6d1571f2fbead132983d2991befef355.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Any ideas as to what this makers mark could be? I can't seem to make it out. Also of note is that it appears the rocker was sewn over the eagles feet for some reason. Haven't seen one like that before that I can remember. 

20211221_181633.jpg

20211221_181636.jpg

On 12/21/2021 at 6:17 PM, PatLaabs said:

Any ideas as to what this makers mark could be? I can't seem to make it out. Also of note is that it appears the rocker was sewn over the eagles feet for some reason. Haven't seen one like that before that I can remember. 

I have no idea on the maker mark, but usually a rocker sewn over the feet of the eagle indicates the rate was created as a 1c and converted to a Chief rate by adding the rocker. I have a few examples. 

18 minutes ago, David Minton said:

I have no idea on the maker mark, but usually a rocker sewn over the feet of the eagle indicates the rate was created as a 1c and converted to a Chief rate by adding the rocker. I have a few examples. 

That's pretty cool. I've heard of that being done before but never seen one. I think this is the only one I have. 

• 3 months later...

Not exactly a signature but definitely something I've never seen before. Not sure what the whole tuubg is supposed to say as well as what the symbol is. Rating is a Bullion Chief Postal Clerk.

20220411_133313.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, busternfo said:

Re. post #62  The maker looks to me to be Pancraft.   

Dennie

I could definitely see that. That'd be nice since I don't have any other Pamcraft ones.

• 1 year later...