Navy rating badges signed & dated

topdcnut

Contract Dated Navy rates 1937-1945

post-2501-1264805336.jpg post-2501-1264805343.jpg

post-2501-1264805359.jpg

I'm not sure what maker the C stands for or if that's what it represents, I heard that the anchor stands for the maker naval clothing factory

• 8 months later...

I have some examples of WW1 era rates that are for the white uniform, I also have two middies, one being a CPO master-at-arms the other being a CPO quartermaster. The quartermaster CPO's chevrons, rating, and eagle are all gold. The master at arms appears to be authorized colors (got them from fur trader on ebay). Both of these come in the same exact bag John showed in the picture. I have sat down and compared my middie master at arms CPO to my other authorized white uniform rates from the 1910s and 1920s and one thing I noticed, that I would like to add, it seems like the cloth of the middies feels stiffer than the cloth of my authentic ones. I do not know if I am on to something here but it seems like the fabric is different too not just the colors. Maybe that can help tell the difference also.

actually I just looked my rating over again and some of the ones I have are in their original package but there was a slight tear in the collephane, I was able to feel the fabric and it still feels softer than the middies I have. Everything else I have is uncut, so I don't think they went through the wash ever. It does seem like middies are made of a firmer fabric possibly of lower quality.

actually I just looked my rating over again and some of the ones I have are in their original package but there was a slight tear in the collephane, I was able to feel the fabric and it still feels softer than the middies I have. Everything else I have is uncut, so I don't think they went through the wash ever. It does seem like middies are made of a firmer fabric possibly of lower quality.

I would like to ammend what I said, I am reading John Stacey's book a second time, just read that uncut was worn prior to cut until the 1930s, so I cannot use my uncuts for comparison; however, my ratings still in the original cellophane (with slight tears in the cellophane) still feel like a softer fabric than my middies.

• 2 years later...

I just received this one in the mail. I just threw a bid on it, as it looked nice and old. There was no photo of the reverse in the Ebay listing. As it is bullion, I was very surprised to see the Lion Brothers/Liona stitching on the reverse. It's very common on a standard non-bullion rate to have this stitching, but I have to say this is the first bullion rate like this I have come across.

post-322-0-68363300-1363434947.jpgpost-322-0-80318700-1363434960.jpg

I just received this one in the mail. I just threw a bid on it, as it looked nice and old. There was no photo of the reverse in the Ebay listing. As it is bullion, I was very surprised to see the Lion Brothers/Liona stitching on the reverse. It's very common on a standard non-bullion rate to have this stitching, but I have to say this is the first bullion rate like this I have come across.

post-322-0-68363300-1363434947.jpgpost-322-0-80318700-1363434960.jpg

Kurt,

Nice catch, and the examples I seen with the double stiching of Liona are pre ww2. There are a number of examples in this thread. But I don't remember seeing one in bullion before.

Jason

What is the earliest dated rate patch and when did they stop dating them? I see a 1937 in post #26 and I have a 1938.

I don't own one dated 1936, but have seen them. 1936-46 are what I've always believed to be the case. I have seen a 1948, but not a 1947.

I've seen 1943 embroidered, ink stamped and in BEVO style.

I believe the 1943 "ink stamped" rates were a test run and produced by Blumburg.

I mentioned these dates to John Stacey and he said he'd seen an early 1950s dated rating badge.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I guess this is the right thread to put this one in. I am not really a cloth guy and was surprised to see a date on the reverse.

Came in a group of Coast Guard SMC stuff.

post-50776-0-12713800-1471577656_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The year stitched into the back of rates is relatively common. Dated rates in my collection range from 1939 to 1949, with the overwhelming majority clustered at 1943 and 1944.

• 1 year later...

attachicon.gifNavy CPO fr.jpgattachicon.gifNavy CPO Rv.jpg

I am wondering if this was a standard CPO rating badge made by Lion Brothers and then updated with bullion?

Regardless, it is very cool to see!

I am wondering if this was a standard CPO rating badge made by Lion Brothers and then updated with bullion?

Regardless, it is very cool to see!

Pretty sure this was just part of the process of MFR a rate patch.

• 3 months later...

This is a great thread, though it just occurred to me in almost nine years nobody has posted a rate with tags? I assume they are quite uncommon as I only have two, and have come across a very small number since I have been collecting.

This Quartermaster, Aviation (1918-21) has what appears to be a tag intended to be removed prior to use. I bought this patch on eBay based on a photo of the front. As this patch is hard enough to find already, discovering the tag was an added bonus.

post-132988-0-65996000-1543758793.jpg

My second is a Gemsco tagged Buglemaster 1c (1927-41). The date range is based on it being right facing, though the specialty mark was eliminated in 1948.

post-132988-0-37280600-1543759155.jpg