Frozen Choisin

tsweeney

Gemtlemen

This a depiction of a Marine unit fighting back the Red Chinese

On 27th Nov. 50, thousands of Chinese troops swarmed over the frozen Yalu River, on the N. Korean/Chinese border, cutting off US Marines in the Chosin Reservoir area. Over the next ten days the Marines, with air support from both the Navy and Marine Air Wings, fought their way out of the trap to Hungnman and safety.

post-8684-1264725532.jpg

post-8684-1264725540.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Nice! Are those IMEX 1:72 or something like that? I just got a box of 50 KW figures and they look very similar to the poses of these.

Rob

Guys thanks for the review.

I used Baking soda for the snow

The figures are a combination of Dragon,Verlinden.Master box and Warrior heads

My wife calls me Frankenstein for all the body parts I put together to get the right pose The scale is 1/35

Thanks again

Tom

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Great dio.

Not to take away from your diorama or the USMC when it comes to the Chosin Reservior. The USMC were not the only unit present during and throughout the breakout. Units from the 7th Infantry Division was also present in the attacks and the breakout. There was the Regimental Combat Team 31 minus 1 battalion (31st Infantry Regiment) and the 1st Bn 32nd Inf Regt. Both of these units would initially receive the blunt of the initial attacks by the Chinese forces. Furthermore, LTC Don C. Faith Jr. would be awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously for his actions at Chosin Reservior. At the time of the breakout his body was not recovered. He was finally laid to rest in America in the past 2 years, following the discovery and recovering of his body.

Nice one, a very expansive Dio. I got a Tamiya Pershing by itself ( not in a Dio ), built it about 7 years ago, I marked it to the 73rd Tank Battalion, the Tank unit attached to the 7th Division. I had an unopened kit of those Dragoon Korean War Chicom figures, really not knowing what to use them with, I thought I could add them somehow to the tank, so I built them, painted them and making a lot of conversions, placed them on top of the Pershing as if they are investigating an abandoned tank, I still have yet to build a Dio base for the whole thing.

Awesome job!

Don't forget the Army and Airforce support as well. Early in the initial Chinese attack which was a surprise to all the UN forces, a general withdrawal order went out to shorten and strengthen existing lines to assist in the defense against the attack. The 1st Bn, 8th Cavalry bore the brunt of this attack, and was reduced to an ineffective, disorganized force in short order but not after blunting the attack and holding the enemy until dawn broke. After the battle, the survivors consisted of six officers and roughly 200 enlistedmen. It was this part of the battle that is oft referred to in derrogatory terms. The 1st Cavalry did not "cut and run" as is often accused, but managed a fighting withdrawal on order from higher command. The Marines, situated above the Funchelin pass at Chosin were also ordered to withdraw and The Air Force offered to pull the Marines out, but lacked the aircraft to do it in one lift. General (Chesty) Puller, in command of the Marines, stated if they couldn't go all at once, no one would go. As a result, the Marines were also reduced to a fighting withdrawal. The withdrawal of the Marines was held up when the Chinese blew a nineteen foot gap in the road along the Funchelin pass, resulting in bottlenecking and stopping the Marine withdrawal. The Airforce and Engineers worked out a plan to drop treadway bridge sections in order to bridge the gap. Once the bridge had been replaced, the Marines resumed the withdrawal.

Hope this little bit of history helps understand the battle a little better...

Wayne