Eagle Head Sword Help Needed.

DwightPruitt

Guys, I need help. I picked up an eagle-head sword today at a local antique store for $50. I know photos would be nice, but the camera on my cell isn't cooperating and my daughter has the digital camera. Anyway, the sword has a straight, unmarked, apparently plated blade in reasonably good polish. The scabbard also appears to be plated with a bit of rust spotting, and has a round frog stud and acorn shaped drag and has no dents. The grip is either bone or ivory- to my untrained eye it looks to be ivory with nice toning and has a few minor age cracks. The knuckle bow is angular with detail on one side and flat on the inside. The clamshell has the Federal Eagle looking left with shield on the breast and olive branches/arrows in its' talons. The eagle is partially surrounded by oakleaves. other than the plating on the scabbard, it's a fairly slick sword.

Looking on the net, I've found two swords that are identical, except the detail on my sword's hilt is much better than either of these. the first is an ebay auction:

item # 270519605577

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-OFFICERS-EAGLE-HE...=item3efc399949

The second sword is here:

http://landandseacollection.com/id467.html

I know nothing about U.S. Swords. Can anyone identify this sword, era of manufacture and rough estimate of value?

Thanks,

Dwight Pruitt

Dwight,

These swords were made for a very long time and it is really not possible to tell you much about your particular sword without a photo. If the blade is plated it was most likely made after circa 1866 when blade plating came into practice.

Hey guys, I am looking for information about the same sword. I have found the same two swords mentioned by Dwight. I actually bought the one from e-bay. But I have another one and I will post pics this evening. Its not in great condition, but my Dad gave it to me. It was found in A field near Asheville, NC. by a friend when he was a kid. Friends mom wouldnt let him keep it and my dad had it ever since. The blade is not plated on this one. Appears to be much older. So I was wondering, when you say that this sword was made for a long time, just what sort of time frame you were meaning.

Hey guys, I am looking for information about the same sword. I have found the same two swords mentioned by Dwight. I actually bought the one from e-bay. But I have another one and I will post pics this evening. Its not in great condition, but my Dad gave it to me. It was found in A field near Asheville, NC. by a friend when he was a kid. Friends mom wouldnt let him keep it and my dad had it ever since. The blade is not plated on this one. Appears to be much older. So I was wondering, when you say that this sword was made for a long time, just what sort of time frame you were meaning.

Yes, please show us a photo. These swords were made from around 1800 through 1900 or later in some instances of society (non-military) swords.