Ride in an SNJ=AWESOME!!

marineamtracer

marineamtracer

Well it turns out that my wife was listening all those times I mentioned that I would love to go on one of those war bird flights one day. So she came through for my birthday this year! We were in Arizona for the Barrett Jackson collector car auction last week and on Saturday morning I got my ride in a restored SNJ thanks to my wife and the CAF. The guys at the museum are really great and a super friendly bunch! They also have a very nice little museum there at Falcon Field in Mesa. Also as a side note Sentimental Journey was there getting an engine replacement and we got to see every inch of her. That was amazing in it's own right! Ok so back to my flight. I was worried that I wouldn't get to fly at all because of the weather. For several days prior the rain and high winds from the California storms had their way with All of Arizona and the southwest. Saturday morning turned off dry and partial sun with heavy clouds at about 500 feet. As we were preparing to fly I got to know my pilot Francoisa a very cordial and knowegable Frenchman. He is a past commander of the Mesa Civil Air Patrol. Once we went over the plane and its history we were ready to fly. We took off to the southwest and made a hard banking turn to the northeat almost immediately upon leaving the ground. We headed out approx 35 miles to the northeast of Falcon Field passing through the Superstion Mountains just below the clouds at first then dropping to the deck between the bluffs and only about 100 feet off the desert floor. After climbing again I was allowed to take the controls for awhile making a few turns and some level flight for awhile. We made several sharp turns and dives out over Canyon Lake. We then returned to Falcon Field and made a military approach making a sharp and fast turn over the airfield then landing. This was a ride I will never forget and you guys have got to try it if you ever get the chance! Oh and by the way this particular SNJ was built in 1943 and was equiped with a tail hook for for mock carrier landing training. It also at some point was used in actual carrier landings on Lake Michigan.

post-5994-1264637117.jpg

post-5994-1264637131.jpg

Oh man, that is so great...congrats! I am sooo jealous, I've always wanted to do that and every time the chance has come up anywhere nearby, I've been either unable to go do it or not had the cash for the rides. Great pictures too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've been there!! Love that place. Didn't go for a flight but saw the hanger, the museum, and some planes taking off. Do they still have that steel pot on the sign near the entrance to the runway?

That is awesome! It sure does sound like an amazing experience. I have always wanted to do that but I have never had the money. I would really love to take a flight in the CAF Dauntless hopefully one day lol.

Forgot to mention this. My uncle used to live in NY, and he writes a magazine about passing the FAA test. Well, he was at an airshow once selling his magazine, and he did something for Sentimental Journey which I can't exactly remember, it might be that he helped them with their gas tab. Well, to show their appreciation, they let him come aboard and he flew with them on a long flight and then flew back. I bought this when I was there, and have been meaning to give it to him when he visits, but I always forget :pinch: Might as well just toss it in the mail, but I'd like to give it to him in person.

post-4251-1264982234.jpg

A few years back I was sitting at my display at a small airshow near Columbus, OH, when a fellow walked up and advised he was the owner/pilot of one of the SNJ’s and he needed someone in Navy flight gear for some photos with his plane. Did I know anyone. Well, of all of us in our Air Corps group, guess who the only one was who had USN gear? Yup. The fellow said to meet him at his plane in a half hour. I scrounged/shanghaied someone to cover my display for me, suited-up and headed over to the flight line. The pilot was there with some others, including a photographer. It was then he told me we would be going up in about fifteen minutes. Going up?!?!? I had assumed it was going to be a standard “mannequin man stands by airplane in flight gear” session. I had no idea… (About then the grin started that didn’t go away until a few hours later!) I would be flying gunner in one SNJ and the photographer would be in a second SNJ.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, we spent about two hours in the air with the photographer taking photos of the plane I was in for a magazine spread. I manned the propane-firing machine gun in the back of the SNJ, putting on a show for the photog. IT WAS TOUGH DUTY BUT SOMEONE HAD TO DO IT!

I’ve been up in a number of war birds, including a B-17 but nothing will take the place of being in that open cockpit firing that gun. Now you know why the photo below is my avatar.

Tom

post-81-1264982625.jpg

Anyhow, to make a long story short, we spent about two hours in the air with the photographer taking photos of the plane I was in for a magazine spread. I manned the propane-firing machine gun in the back of the SNJ, putting on a show for the photog. IT WAS TOUGH DUTY BUT SOMEONE HAD TO DO IT!

I’ve been up in a number of war birds, including a B-17 but nothing will take the place of being in that open cockpit firing that gun. Now you know why the photo below is my avatar.

Tom

WOW! I also am very jealous of you! That would have been one heck of an experience. :jeal0001: