proper wear of the US KRAG bayonet? ring forward or rear?

BOLO

whats the proper way a soldier during the Spanish American war would have carried his bayonet? should the bayonet be worn on the left hip with the muzzle ring facing foward or the ring facing the rear?

because the bayonet fits in the scabbard either way, but Im not sure which was the correct position?

thanks !

I haven't seen anything in print that absolutely states which way the muzzle ring should face.

However, the earliest scabbards only allowed the bayonet to be inserted in one way - the opening was slightly tapered. If worn on the left side, the muzzle ring had to be to the front due to the tapered opening. So that was the "official" way at the time.

Hope that is of some assistance.

12-02.jpg

I think the muzzle ring facing forward when worn on the left side is the correct way since they were originally worn like that with the early scabbard

mine have the later scabbard and one scabbard shows a little wear from the blade rubbing where it inserts into the scabbard, so thats how the original owner must have carried it most of the time with the muzzle ring forward.

Find the drill manual for the era and look up the regulations for the command "Fix, Bayonets". The carrying method that most easily facilitates the movements for this command are the closest you will find to a "right way" to tote the bayonet.

Sgt. Walter Nettleton of Company L , 15th Minn V.I. Spanish American War

wearing his Krag bayonet on his left side , the bayonet appears to be muzzle ring forward

post-1885-1264654643.jpg

the bayonet is always worn on the left side with the barrel ring facing the front....this enables the soldier to correctly fix bayonets because the rifle is positioned on the right side at order arms.

• 2 weeks later...
the bayonet is always worn on the left side with the barrel ring facing the front....this enables the soldier to correctly fix bayonets because the rifle is positioned on the right side at order arms.

Thank you, Heprox, for this advice. :thumbsup:

I never knew it to be so, I do historical interpretation. Sometimes I show a 1903 Springfield, and I remember that when I "fixed bayonets" was very smooth sometimes. At other times I felt awkward "fixing bayonets." Now I realize it must have been because of the position of the bayonet ring. :ermm: