* * * ARVN ERDL - real or not real? * * *

gimp

I know about Recently made Ranger patten camo set

If you live in saigon you can buy it for 30bucks

But I never seen 4 pocket version and Gimps uniform Version stamp.

All repros have Similar Stamp marking Like this (photos below)

I live in saigon for 10 yrs and If you proof any pics and infor I'll agree

Here are photos of the newest generations of the fake BDQ camo uniforms coming out of Vietnam. This one is a two pocket variant. But rest assured if they are making two pockets styles they are also making four pocket styles. There have been fake BDQ camo uniforms coming out of Vietnam since the early 90's. If some of you are happy with this set thats great, I know I wouldn't have spent my money on it.

Another point to add, this is not ERDL, this is the basic ARVN Ranger pattern camo.

post-492-1265227467.jpg

post-492-1265227474.jpg

post-492-1265227482.jpg

Another Fakes

Here are photos of the newest generations of the fake BDQ camo uniforms coming out of Vietnam. This one is a two pocket variant. But rest assured if they are making two pockets styles they are also making four pocket styles. There have been fake BDQ camo uniforms coming out of Vietnam since the early 90's. If some of you are happy with this set thats great, I know I wouldn't have spent my money on it.

Another point to add, this is not ERDL, this is the basic ARVN Ranger pattern camo.

post-492-1265227467.jpg

post-492-1265227474.jpg

post-492-1265227482.jpg

post-3304-1265235530.jpg

post-3304-1265235540.jpg

vintageproductions

I will say what I said before. If the buyer is happy with the set that is all that matters. I wouldn't have spent my money on it.

I will say what I said before. If the buyer is happy with the set that is all that matters. I wouldn't have spent my money on it.

hey Bob,

i respect your opinion.

but i think, its for everybody interesting how advanced the fakers are, if this 4 pocket ARVN ERDL is a repro.

its interesting where, who....made repros

i like to research everthing

>>

i have a friend in berlin,

he has ARVN ERDL repros (2 pocket shirt from NOMAX militaria, Germany - source: thailand and pants from National Capital Sales, USA - source; maybe thailand, too, both pattern and fabric and button are similar)

i hope he can make some pics of the stamps, button, fabric....to compare with mine set.

his opinion is, that my 4 pocket is a repro, but he has to compare again

he bought his shirt 2 year ago and the pants at the same time from N.C.S usa

>>

he means his repro set is "same" the moore-militaria but "different"

ebay seller and wehrmacht-awards member "express06snail"

has an "original" 4 pocket 1974 ARVN ERDL shirt

i would like to see some pics from your shirt ;)

thefallenbuddha

I don't really participate in this forum too often, but after viewing this thread, I had to join in.

I think it is true that ARVN 4-pocket garments were more prevalent in the later war periods, but some were also around in the 60s. I don't believe it is really possible to fix an exact date for when they appeared. The issuing of uniform variants was often up to individual quatermasters and unit commanders. And, as we all know, officers and sometimes seasoned enlisted personnel typically had their uniforms tailored to their own tastes.

Also, I am not an expert, so I am not going to comment on the originality of the uniforms posted in this thread. I will leave that for others.

But, I will say most everything ARVN is being faked today, especially from sources in Southeast Asia. I have even seen fake ARVN transportation branch patches being sold as originals. I wish it was that easy to tell, but just because a shirt is a 4 pocket does not make it original. I have seen fake 4 pocket "Ranger" pattern shirts for sale, not only in Saigon, but Bangkok as well. The people making the fakes/reproductions are not stupid. Any faker can read the same books and websites as a collector. Who is reproducing them? Just ask any tailor in Saigon or any other city in Southeast Asia and they can probably direct you to a local person making reproductions of Vietnam War period garments, if they aren't themselves. Stamps are a funny thing as well...I still get fooled by them, and they are not rock solid markers of originality. Many collectors know about particular confirmed fake quartermaster stamping styles, but there isn't much difference needed to change them to correct "original" style markings.

I agree with the early comment posted, if you are happy with the item than good for you.

As for me, I will be honest. I've bought fake ARVN items before thinking they're original, and when I've found out they're not, it is irritating everytime, but I have to count them out of the collection. It is a let down, but that's also a part of collecting. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But, it is just a hobby afterall.

hochiminhtrail

hey gimp,

please read the threads on wehrmachts awards, for me it s real red flag that the stmap is under QMstamp, it would habve been better if it was next to it or under it, so you could still have the chance thats it has been enhenced, but here it looks to be completly faked.

If you are ready to collect ARVN be prepaired to learn the hard way, i m very cautiuos now, and i m sure i will step on some further mines in the collecting field, but thats the way it goes.

and you will be happy when you will have a real gem in your collection, for me i m still looking for the holy grail in ARVN original patched shirts.

and as it was said before, in saigon they will not hesitate to tailor whatever you want for some cash, although you can still find some good pieces there, but thats another story.

Owen i m still here and it s still freezing

Cheers

Alex

"why nobody is talking about this circle?"

Maybe nobody cares....

Gimp, I think the question about whether this shirt is real or not has been pretty much answered. The circle stamp might just be some BS thing to make people think it's more "legit". Also as far as buttons go, they are everywhere, I have a sealed bag of them somewhere so using buttons to see if something is real is not a good idea. If you like it, that's all that matters...the shirt might be real with BS stamps added but most seem to think it is just another export from Vietnam within the last 10yrs, welcome to the world of collecting VN items.

In my opinion, your uniform looks Legit which was used during the Late war period.

As other people said previously, Arvn's 4 pocket uniform take most portion at the later part.

Type of ARVN uniform is multifarious to the stage that no one can define easily as one.

Because Most of Individual quartermasters, Commanders,officer or privates fixed or changed their uniforms to suit to their own personal taste at the tailor shops.

It seems your uniform is also modified at the tailor shop. Stitched in black thread could be the evidence of that.

When I served at the Da-Lat in early part of 1970's, I've modified my uniform to Tap Cut at one of the tailor shop and it was also finished with black thread.

As another evidence, most likely your uniform would be smaller than the stamped size indicate if your uniform was modified at the tailor shop.

Because most officers modified their uniform to fit to their body after they received larger size of uniform as it is easier for people to make larger sized one smaller than making small size to get it enlarged to bigger size.

Out of my own collection, I have an Q5 size of trouser and actually, it should be the similar size with the M size in U.S.A. but as I tried it on, frequently, it was smaller size than the Asian small(A-S)

Most likely, no one here can firmly tell you if your uniform is original or reproduced. Of course, in my opinion, I would vote for the original but most likely, no body can tell which tailor modified this if this is the original or if it is reproduction, no one can tell you which tailor could make such detailed and accurate sized product.

(If it is one of the reproduction, I think it is more than just enough to pay for the value because it really look like as a orignal.)

However, no matter either this one is an original or the reproduction, if you like it, it is worth it and wouldn't that be enough? This is for only your personal taste.

PS.: You better not too sensitive about the XUONG-IB stamp, In my opinion, that stamp was not stamped first but like some one said previously, I think it look like as if they had not used enough ink to stamp when someone stamped on it and looks rather vague. :thumbsup:

In my opinion, your uniform looks Legit which was used during the Late war period.

As other people said previously, Arvn's 4 pocket uniform take most portion at the later part.

Type of ARVN uniform is multifarious to the stage that no one can define easily as one.

Because Most of Individual quartermasters, Commanders,officer or privates fixed or changed their uniforms to suit to their own personal taste at the tailor shops.

It seems your uniform is also modified at the tailor shop. Stitched in black thread could be the evidence of that.

When I served at the Da-Lat in early part of 1970's, I've modified my uniform to Tap Cut at one of the tailor shop and it was also finished with black thread.

As another evidence, most likely your uniform would be smaller than the stamped size indicate if your uniform was modified at the tailor shop.

Because most officers modified their uniform to fit to their body after they received larger size of uniform as it is easier for people to make larger sized one smaller than making small size to get it enlarged to bigger size.

Out of my own collection, I have an Q5 size of trouser and actually, it should be the similar size with the M size in U.S.A. but as I tried it on, frequently, it was smaller size than the Asian small(A-S)

Most likely, no one here can firmly tell you if your uniform is original or reproduced. Of course, in my opinion, I would vote for the original but most likely, no body can tell which tailor modified this if this is the original or if it is reproduction, no one can tell you which tailor could make such detailed and accurate sized product.

(If it is one of the reproduction, I think it is more than just enough to pay for the value because it really look like as a orignal.)

However, no matter either this one is an original or the reproduction, if you like it, it is worth it and wouldn't that be enough? This is for only your personal taste.

PS.: You better not too sensitive about the XUONG-IB stamp, In my opinion, that stamp was not stamped first but like some one said previously, I think it look like as if they had not used enough ink to stamp when someone stamped on it and looks rather vague. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your opinion!!!!!

to make it clear. for no mistunderstanding.

1. my uniform is A5 / Q7 is like US medium and it seems not retailored. there are most black and some gree/brown seams

2. ("1973") 1974-75: 4 pocket arvn erdl was issued => SEE THE PICS; SO WE DONT HAVE TO PROVE, ARE 4 POCKETS UNIFORM EXISTED OR NOT.

thanks u all

p.s.

i got some repros from my friend in berlin, i compare them with my uniform

post-6590-1265460650.jpg

post-6590-1265460657.jpg

Hello,

today i tested my uniform:

My uniform:

1. i burned the seams (black and green/brown) ==> cotton, seams burned slowly like a candle, middle fireball, smells natural

2. i burned some scrap of cloth/fabric ==> cotton, fabric burned slowly, middle fireball, smells natural

National Capital Sales & Nomax - ARVN ERDL repro (repro-source: Thailand):

1. seams (green/brown) ==> synthetic, seams burned fast, small fireball, smells burned nylon

2. scrap of cloth/fabric ==> cotton, fabric burned fast, middle fireball, smells natural

National Capital Sales & www.sofmilitary.co.uk/ soldiers of furtune & Nomax - Seaweave/VNMC Tigerstripe repro (repro-source: Thailand)

1. seams (green/brown) ==> synthetic, seam burned fast, small fireball, smells burned nylon

2. scrap of cloth/fabric ==> cotton/synthetic, fabric burned fast, small fireball, smells synthetic

optical campare:

1. repro seawave and repro arvn erdl have the same buttons

2. my uniform has some different pattern colors compare to the known repros

3. compare pics from original items with my uniform

and the known repros items

some have 1 green "acarde" some have 3 green "acardes"

picture 1: mooremilitaria

picture 2: unknown source, current - ebayseller

post-6590-1265469056.jpg