"Bilko"...a.k.a. "The Phil Silvers' Show"

Sabrejet

Was there ever a funnier tv sitcom than this?! As a kid growing up in post-WW2 Britain, I used to watch it on my folks' 18" black & white tv in the late 50s. I was too young to really appreciate it then, but I do remember being fascinated by Silvers' very American, quick-fire delivery. As a young adult, I appreciated the periodic re-runs even more, particularly as my interest in collecting US militaria was beginning to stir!

I recently purchased a dvd boxed set featuring all of the classic episodes. I must've watched them a dozen times already, but they still make me laugh even though I know what's coming next! Silvers' Bilko is a tour-de-force of comic delivery and timing. The regular supporting cast and guest actors, many of whom went on to become stars in their own right (eg Dick Van Dyke, Alan Alda, Fred Gwynne, Larry Storch) are perfect foils for his quick-witted one-liners. As a bonus, its military setting provides a great opportunity to check out 50s uniforms, insignias and equipment,. Paricularly interesting is the gradual change in the uniform from series one to the final series with the introduction of Army Green accessories being worn with khaki chinos..(if only it was filmed in colour!)

Although it's over 50 years old, it hasn't dated too much. Yes, there are period references, but good humour, well-written and brilliantly performed, is timeless. I remember eagerly anticipating the Steve Martin re-make back in the late 80s/early 90s. It was a major disappointment! I love Steve Martin's humour...but there was only one Bilko/Phil Silvers!

Sabrejet :lol:

Simply classic Ian, i have some on dvd and some recorded to vhs. Is it 147 episodes?. Never bothered watching the Steve Martin version cause he could never come up to Phil Silvers` standard..........517th

Simply classic Ian, i have some on dvd and some recorded to vhs. Is it 147 episodes?. Never bothered watching the Steve Martin version cause he could never come up to Phil Silvers` standard..........517th

Couldn't agree with you more 517th! I'm not sure what the final episode count was, but it was quite a lot for sure! The amazing thing is that the basic plot remained virtually unchanged from episode to episode...ie Bilko's get rich quick scams..and yet each one is uniquely funny. Some of America's finest comedy scriptwriters cut their teeth on Bilko. For example, the episode I watched just last night was written by Neil Simon. The series was originally called "You'll never get rich!" and then became "The Phil Silvers Show", but never "Bilko"...that was the title bestowed upon it by the public!

Ian :lol:

An Interesting fact was that the famous actor Lt. George Kennedy was hired as an advisor to the early episodes and through Phil Silvers advice turned to acting. I think that he appeared in one of the episodes........517th

An Interesting fact was that the famous actor Lt. George Kennedy was hired as an advisor to the early episodes and through Phil Silvers advice turned to acting. I think that he appeared in one of the episodes........517th

He did..a walk-on part as an MP. Watched that episode a few days ago, in fact!

Ian