Jackpot! Higgins Boat Landing Photos!

siege1863

Great photos!

Very interesting details, A-2 jacket, Amphibious Forces SSI, WW I vintage canteen.

Thanks for posting them!

BKW

Each time I look at the photos, I find find new details. Here is one. It is an Army photographer/cameraman documenting the landings.

post-211-1264646189.jpg

If you feel up to it, contact Frank Andruss Jr. at ptboats.org. He has the big traveling pt boat exhibit. I think he just wrote a book on Higgins.

Recently purchased this Higgins advertisement clipped from an old boating magazine. This is the only illustration found so far of the type of landing boat seen in my collection of photos.

post-211-1265318422.jpg

post-211-1265318431.jpg

I've been enjoying this thread :thumbsup: !

Have you seen or do you have a copy of "Navigation Wrinkles for Combat Motor Boats", published by Higgins Insustries in 1943 ?

I bought a copy of it at the Great Western Show in Pomona in the mid-'80's. - I had it for many years before really looking at it closely. Very interesting book, some interesting photo's throughout, however they're of only fair resolution by today's standards.

Best regards,

Paul

Great pictures. I wonder what side of the lake they landed on.

Speaking with a coworker from the area, he thinks the landings could have been on Old Shell Beach on Lake Borgne. If you look at some of the photos you can clearly see the sea shells.