Jackpot! Higgins Boat Landing Photos!

siege1863

Finally received the group (23) of photos alluded to in earlier posts. My hope was that they were of Higgins Boats and indeed they are! The photos were taken in March 1943 during a landing operation on Lake Pontchartrain at New Orleans, home of the Higgins Boat Works. The first two photos show men boarding the craft at the boat yard. All the photos are marked on the back and each credits the photographer. With a little research, I was able to determine that the man who took most of the photos was the chief photographer for Higgins! He is listed in a 1943 New Orleans city directory. The other man was a prominent photographer from New Orleans.

I have scanned them larger to show the incredible detail.

post-211-1264553310.jpg

Not 100% sure, but the civilian on the left may be Higgins. The man next to him is likely the officer in charge of the Coast Guard crew that piloted the boats.

post-211-1264555546.jpg

Here is Lt. Ehlers, on the left, who I am trying to fully identify. A partial service number can be seen on his canteen cover.

post-211-1264555671.jpg

Stenciled on the backs of the boat crews' jackets is "CG SEC STA NO LA." This is for Coast Guard Sector Station--New Orleans, Louisiana. I cannot make out the number or symbol below this marking.

post-211-1264558749.jpg

Not 100% sure, but the civilian on the left may be Higgins. The man next to him is likely the officer in charge of the Coast Guard crew that piloted the boats.

post-211-1264555546.jpg

As there is a family resemblance I believe it to be one of Andrew Higgins' sons who worked at the plant.