Carbine ammo pouch

MattOravik

This pouch with nylon edge is in my book 'American web equipment 1910-1967' by Martin Brayley, and was wondering just how rare this pouch is? The one pictured in the book is made by Avery 1944 and is the belt version of the pouch. I didn't see one on here in the reference section.

-Matt.

Not sure how rare they are but i have one or two and i think they are marked avery 1944 just like in the book. Thats a nice little book by the way.

I was wondering cause I was watching one on ebay but wasn't around to bid. It sold for 9.99. It didn't mention the nylon but I could see in the pic that it was shiny like nylon.

-Matt.

I never would have thought nylon edging was around in 1944

Me neither, I would've passed them up for fakes, you learn something new everyday!!! :thumbsup:

Same here. I always thought the nylon trim was "transitional" or pre-LINCLOE before the entire piece, body and trim, went nylon. Mid to late '60s are the dates I see on most of the stuff with nylon trim on a cotton body-mainly canteen covers. Thanks for showing these.

Hi,

I've got a 1944 dated musette bag with such a trim (for the bag itself, the flap has a cotton trim).

Already seen a 1945 dated M43 entrenching tool cover with nylon trim.

29ecug.jpg

• 1 month later...
Question. Is the thread attaching the nylon edging cotton or nylon? Thanks

The stitching yarn of the nylon edging is cotton on my carbine pouches and musette bag.

I also came across an OD#7 M1928 meatcan pouch with nylon edging that was dated 1944. I would have bought it but he wanted $25 for it so I passed.

Could this be 1960 manufacturers aquired unfinshed WW2 canvas gear and put new nylon on to finish them???

Sam

Could this be 1960 manufacturers aquired unfinshed WW2 canvas gear and put new nylon on to finish them???

Sam

No. They were made this way in 1944..