Unknown & Unusual Post-WWI Enlisted EGA...Insignia or Jewelry?

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

According to Orgel's appendix; this emblem reflects the pattern of a cap emblem of 1916 (page A.16) thus “suggesting it was made with the issuing of Change No. 20 Feb 25, 1920" Note that “Cuba, and the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn as well as a rhumb/agonic line are not shown in this design".

I have only seen this one device and have never encountered its matching cap emblem. My own thoughts are this emblem is actually a set made in post war France for those who remained during the post war activities. Immediately after the uniform change to replace collar discs with emblems, its very unlikely contracts pieces would have made it to Europe in a timely fashion, thus the Marines present would have been left to private purchase.

The emblem shows great detail, especially across the eagle, as one would expect from a French piece. And wear one would encounter in a period emblem. I have not had it tested, but sure it is silver. Note the photo’s were taken in early morning light and corrected to eliminate the blue color of early morning light. There are no hallmarks visible; however where one would expect to see them, a good deal of finish remains. As for which of the known French insignia makers produced these, we may never know. Most would suggest JR Gault, I suspect not, no hallmark or “Made in France” which was very common among their emblems of the period.

Although Orgel’s appendix mentioned these as being pin-back, I am not certain the one shown is original????? There appears to be the provisioning of a flange or the like for a screw back in the globe? I am just not certain. It would be nice to see others... if they are out there, for comparison???

unknown_ega_front.jpg

jeremiahcable

Nice bird! It does look jeweler made and I noticed the reverse set up of the pin with the joint being at the bottom and the clasp on the top. I have always associated that with European pieces and can see that this could be a French piece. Does it show the remains of a gold wash or plating on the globe? Can't tell from the pictures.

Jeremiah

Darrell,

That is a very nice looking emblem. Another possibility? Have you considered "sweetheart"? With the missing Cuba, as many "sweetheart" emblems have, the general appearance of this emblem is making me lean towards that possibility.

Gary

Schnicklfritz

Here are some pics of the one that I found. It is a match to the one pictured in the back of Moran's book on the USMC. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the cap sized EGA pictured above the collar emblem associated with this style of EGA?

post-115-1183062077.jpg

post-115-1183062088.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Schnicklfritz said:
Here are some pics of the one that I found. It is a match to the one pictured in the back of Moran's book on the USMC. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the cap sized EGA pictured above the collar emblem associated with this style of EGA?

Eureka one in bronze with "C" clip same pattern... earlier version, one in silver with roller pin clip... later version?

Whats your thoughts guy's???

1920_french_in_bronze.jpg

unknown_ega_front.jpg

• 2 years later...
usmcaviator

Brig,

There is an old thread on these that I cant find. The thread I remember displayed a couple service versions. I have never seen a set. I have only seen this side. They look like a morph of the 1914 pattern and the 1920 pattern. With a dress version showing up, the potential for them to be a set got a little better. But until the other side shows, it's at best a sweetheart or oddity piece. The pinback makes no sense, as all collars by post WW1 time were constructed with eyelets.

Mike

teufelhunde.ret
this sold last month for a bit over 100 on eBay. any info?

One of many known enlisted pinback's from the era - a few more pulled from the Ref. Sec.

post_115_1183062145.jpg

post_214_1221246989.jpg