WWI Roast Beef Tin

SI Gordon

The Reserve Ration, not to be confused with the Emergency Ration, consisted of a sealed galvanized steel container containing 25 pounds of meat in one pound cans, 25 pounds of hard bread in 8 oz cans and 25 rations each of soluble coffee, sugar and salt. Tobacco and cigarettes were also added. This is one of the 25 one pound cans of meat , marked Armour Beef Steak, Roasted. The can is 4.25 inches in diameter and 2.5 inches in width . There is a soldered strip around the circumference of the can and a key much like the corn beef tins before pull tops. This how the can was opened.

post-535-1264464913.jpg

Is that can still full?

It was full a few months ago, then a strange stench began coming from my collection and the 90+ year old tin had to be opened and cleaned. It was sealed in wax and in a temperature and humidity controlled room but the can was badly dented on one side and it was only a matter of time.

Misanthropic_Gods
It was full a few months ago, then a strange stench began coming from my collection and the 90+ year old tin had to be opened and cleaned. It was sealed in wax and in a temperature and humidity controlled room but the can was badly dented on one side and it was only a matter of time.

This is a very interesting, rarely seen piece of everyday life of the Soldier.....but all I have to say is, ewwww

Did you try some? When is the next time you will have the chance to eat 90 year old roast beef? :blink:

Did you try some? When is the next time you will have the chance to eat 90 year old roast beef? :blink:

nah .....but it was only starting to rot. The rest smelled like wet shoe leather. :crying:

That is one rare puppy. However I would have carefully cut open the bottom and cleaned it that way, thus allowing it to be displayed as full (like beer can collectors do).

Were you able to salvage any of the stuff inside?

and just curious, can you measure it? diameter and height?

That is one rare puppy. However I would have carefully cut open the bottom and cleaned it that way, thus allowing it to be displayed as full (like beer can collectors do).

Were you able to salvage any of the stuff inside?

and just curious, can you measure it? diameter and height?

Yes I was thinking of opening it like that but chose to open it the way it was originally intended. I had I tough time doing that without breaking the soldered strip. Might try to rebuild it with a round block of wood on some other material inside and try and make it look complete.

No threw the contents out. It looked like a compressed can of old leather with some sort of filler.

The can is 4.25 inches in dia. and 2.5 inches thick.

whoops, I got so excited seeing it I missed it the first time...

but does anyone have the master can ?

The can is 4.25 inches in dia. and 2.5 inches thick.