WW II BSA Awards

Brian Keith

I dug these out for an exhibt were putting together.

post-1549-1264444735.jpg post-1549-1264444745.jpg

Front:

“National Victory Garden Institute MacArthur Award”

Back:

“Boy Scouts of America

Award for Outstanding Achievement in War Food Program”

Front;

“War Service 1945

Boy Scout Gen Eisenhower Waste Paper Campaign”

Back:

“Awarded for Extraordinary Patriotic achievement in the Boy Scout General Eisenhower Waste Paper Campaign March-April 1945”

I have a bunch of war time Scounting magazines I need to look through to find out the criteria for the award of these.

It is interesting that the MacArthur one is so much larger that the Ike one. Must be an Ego thing!

Any body know if there were other awards similar? Like for collecting scrap metals?, Selling War Bonds?

Frank, Gil, you guys know?

BKW

Those are great awards. I have my fathers General Eisenhower medal and certificate for waste paper collection with his Boy Scout troop in Bangor, Maine during WW2.

Leigh...

Documents would be neat to find. I just have the awards, I don't even know who the scout was that earned them.

BKW

• 8 months later...

Saw and advert in the March 1945 issue of Boys Life announcing the award and thought I'd post a pic.....note that a BSA troop could get a unit award, consisting of a 75mm shell casing with a paper citation....

Mark sends

post-3423-1287024161.jpg

Any body know if there were other awards similar? Like for collecting scrap metals?, Selling War Bonds?

Frank, Gil, you guys know?

BKW

There is another MacArthur Boy Scout Award. Similar to the one you show. It has a red ribbon and Boy Scout is part of the design on the front. I will see if I can find mine and post it.

Jack

I think I remember seeing something in a Homefront collectibles book that had some other Boy Scout related awards...

I will have to check when I get home, and by the way, Brian,..

I will post a picture of my father's Eisenhower Paper Drive certificate that he got with his medal...

Leigh...

Documents would be neat to find. I just have the awards, I don't even know who the scout was that earned them.

BKW

Nice items. There was also a War Bonds sales medal for WW1.

G

As promised, I was able to find my father's Eisenhower medal and the Award Certificate that accompanied the Medal. This was in part of my Homefront Collection..My dad was a cub scout in Pack Ten, in Bangor, Maine in 1945.

post-5554-1287196582.jpg

post-5554-1287196627.jpg

post-5554-1287196663.jpg

Enjoy...

Leigh..