Various WW1 Uniforms

Jim Baker

Guest ArchNorton

I can't seem to figure out how to post images here but I have a photo of my great great uncle in his military uniform and I was wondering if someone could help me identify what branch of service he was in. Thanks. You can e-mail me at [email protected] and I can send you the photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.My e-mail

Ryan W.

craig_pickrall

Rather than trying to post it here you should post it in the Uniform Section near the top of the forum. The link for instructions on how to post pics is on the banner at the top of the forum.

• 4 years later...

I am a complete novice when it comes to these uniforms and their various insignias. Can someone explain what all of the markings indicate on the uniforms in a couple of the posts in this topic? I understand the patches at the top of the right sleave to be for organizations such as specifc divisions, it is all the stripes that confuse me.

In Post 11, the uniform has an upward pointing red chevron in the middle of the left sleeve, and then one downward pointing chevron at the bottom of this sleeve. On the other sleeve, there are two downward pointing chevrons at the bottom of the sleeve.

In Post 39, the uniform has the upward pointing red chevron on the middle of the left sleeve, then two downward pointing chevrons at the bottom of this sleeve. On the right sleeve, there are two upward pointing chevrons towrd the upper part of the sleeve.

I saw in one post that the red chevron was supposed to indicate the soldier had been discharged, but I believe somewhere else I saw that such a chevron could indicate the soldier had been wounded.

Can someone tell me what the markings in each of the locations really indicate?

Thanks,

Marty

I am a complete novice when it comes to these uniforms and their various insignias. Can someone explain what all of the markings indicate on the uniforms in a couple of the posts in this topic? I understand the patches at the top of the right sleave to be for organizations such as specifc divisions, it is all the stripes that confuse me.

In Post 11, the uniform has an upward pointing red chevron in the middle of the left sleeve, and then one downward pointing chevron at the bottom of this sleeve. On the other sleeve, there are two downward pointing chevrons at the bottom of the sleeve.

In Post 39, the uniform has the upward pointing red chevron on the middle of the left sleeve, then two downward pointing chevrons at the bottom of this sleeve. On the right sleeve, there are two upward pointing chevrons towrd the upper part of the sleeve.

I saw in one post that the red chevron was supposed to indicate the soldier had been discharged, but I believe somewhere else I saw that such a chevron could indicate the soldier had been wounded.

Can someone tell me what the markings in each of the locations really indicate?

Thanks,

Marty

Basically,

A single red chevron pointing upwards, and worn on the left sleeve midway up denotes that the soldier was discharged, this was so that the uniform could be worn ( for I think around 60-90 days) for the trip home and for parades, etc.

The downward pointing chevrons on the same (left sleeve) are overseas stripes, each stripe denoted 6 months overseas, a blue stripe was also authorized for someone with less than 6 months overseas service.

The stripe or stripes worn on the lower right sleeve denote the wearer as having been wounded, any other stripes located higher up on this sleeve would denote rank.

• 8 years later...
Grandson E C Bull
On 1/16/2007 at 4:09 AM, NTZ said:

Here is a uniform grouping for a Captain Edward Cline Bull. I have very little info on him other than his draft card. That was pretty easy to find. I went to the national archives and pulled up all draft cards with the initials E. Bull. There was 32 E. Bulls believe it or not. The problem was 31 of them were listing their civilian occupations as rancher, farm worker, machinist. The only exception was on, Edward Cline Bull, occupation surgeon. Well I knew I found my man. Since he also enlisted in the MORC as a lieutenant this had to be an educated man and this was then the only one of the bunch.

post-428-1168945770.jpg

Dr Edward Bull Picture2.jpg

Grandson E C Bull
On 1/16/2007 at 4:09 AM, NTZ said:

Here is a uniform grouping for a Captain Edward Cline Bull. I have very little info on him other than his draft card. That was pretty easy to find. I went to the national archives and pulled up all draft cards with the initials E. Bull. There was 32 E. Bulls believe it or not. The problem was 31 of them were listing their civilian occupations as rancher, farm worker, machinist. The only exception was on, Edward Cline Bull, occupation surgeon. Well I knew I found my man. Since he also enlisted in the MORC as a lieutenant this had to be an educated man and this was then the only one of the bunch.

post-428-1168945770.jpg

E. C. Bull - Newspaper mention of going to Scotland for WWI.jpg

• 1 year later...
ThatOneNewGuy816
On 1/7/2007 at 7:52 PM, Cactus said:

Here is a normal 1917 wool coat. No name, nothing really, but it was my first WW1 coat and the price was right.

Any stitch patterns inside the sleeves?