Various WW1 Uniforms

Jim Baker

You've posted some awesome soldier suits here. How about backing up a little and giving us some history on them. I mean, obviously, you have named pieces. Do you know more about the original owners? Would you mind giving us some closer images of things like the wings, the USMC insignia, etc? You don't see this type of quality show up on the forum here every day.

I agree with Allan, I too would love to see the wings on the observer group and also the USMC EGA collar devices. Seeing these is a real treat, thanks!

I have a very good firend who has a very large Polar Uniform collection and even has written several books on them if I remember right. Its the Michigan's Own Military and Space Museum.

www.michigansmilitarymuseum.com

Great place. If you have any questions he is the man.

I have been collecting WW1 items going on twenty years now, this is only a small part of my US collection. One day I hope to photograph the entire collection. The 28th Capt Uniform from Harrisburg , PA is the highlight of my collection, not only do I have the Uniforms (2), overcoats, boots, maps but just about all his paper work from his National Guard days, 1911 thru WW1. Including Morning Reports, Sick Reports, Duty Rosters, Piles of forms and paper work from MG school for the “New” Browning MG, even a toilet paper receipt for the troop ship when the 108th went overseas. Capt Crowe saved everything. Interesting enough Capt Crowe in the official histories of the 28th is reported KIA and wounded on the same page yet he is listed on the 1938 reunion roster. Just shows the books aren’t always correct. His story is most interesting. The USMC “Army” uniform came out of a flea market in Germany a few years ago. I don’t have any more info than that. Unfortunately my digital is about as old as some of the uniforms I have but will try and post more when I can. The 310th Engineer uniform is from the vets son in Wisconsin it also has with it several photos of what the 310th build in Russia.

Capt Crowe’s Service Record

Private Co G 8th PA Infantry Nov 1891-May 10 1898

Sergeant Co G 8th PA Infantry May 11 1898 to March 1900

2nd Lieutenant April 16 ,1900

1st Lieutenant April 30 ,1900

Resigned May 18 1904

Private Co D 8th PA Infantry June 1904

Bn Sgt Major June 23 1904

2nd Lieut Bn Q.M.C. Jan 1, 1910

1st Lieur Bn Adjt Oct 1912

Captain June 25 1916

Mustered into Fed service July 1916

Captain Co A 108th MG Oct 17 1917 Oct 12 1918

Batt Commander 108th MG Oct 12 1918-Oct 25 1918

Reported KIA Nov 10 1918

Wounded listed in Company Officers list

Reported to New duty Station per special Orders 137 Nov 14 1918

What's the difference between the polar bear on all fours, and the standing polar bear? I have the standing polar bear, which appears to be a theater made patch as well. The sad part is, the patch was a moth hole. I am still happy with it though, because these are rare, rare tunics.

Sounds like a Siberia Expedition patch me. Moth hole or not, not an easy patch to find. The North Russia patch had two designs. North Russia 1st pattern White letters "AR" on vertical blue back ground, 2nd Pattern Polar Bear on Ice, Siberia Expedition , 1st pattern "S " above "AEF" on Vertical blue Background, 2nd pattern Polar Bear standing with white "S" in center. Of course there are several variations.

www.michigansmilitarymuseum.com

Great place. If you have any questions he is the man.

I second that. Great museum to visit. I've gone back two or three times. The owner (your friend I assume) took a lot of time to discuss his collection with me. Very knowledable and friendly. The museum is located in Frankenmuth, MI, which is a tourist spot of its own. Good German restaurants, winery, etc. If you are in the midwest, it's well worth a visit.

Thanks for the info on the Polar Bear patches. I normally post a lot on the forums, especially MCF, (Thanks to Schottzie for bringing me here) but my time for taking and formatting pictures for posting has been limited. I need to get some pics up of some of my stuff, and since we are talking about the NREF uniforms, I think that mine would make a good discussion as well. I also want to add that the uniforms posted in this thread are top-notch. Just beautiful, and I applaud you for showing them. What does a US pilot uniform go for from the First World War? I think I may have to get one. I've seen them sell at auction in the 2K range.

2 K .....ouch !!! WOW !!! Way over priced I think for US stuff. Imperial German yeah, last time I saw a US Pilot uniform sold it was in the 500 to 1000 US dollar range but I've been out of the loop for a while. I have quite a few more US, French and German WW1 era uniforms as well and may post them in the future.

Yes, I have two auction records from Mohawk Arms Inc, and the Dallas type wings, alone, sell for $2000-$3000. There are other WWI pilot wings that are not of this famour style, but those have sold for around 1K. Whole wings are the key.

Here is the only tags I could find. The only date I can make out is 1918 stamped in the hat. Overall I like it. Real small but nice. Now I have to figure out how to best preserve the leather belt. It is starting to crack.

DSCF0712.jpg

DSCF0714.jpg

DSCF0711.jpg

Here is my M1912 92nd Infantry "Buffalo Soldier's" uniform, with it's original MKI Brodie helmet, a British made helmet that was issued to this all black division of the First World War. The black buffalo would indicate either Machine Gun or Headquarter's Batallion. Complete with the soldier's victory medal and New York State service medal. Great lining. Scarce uniform.

post-548-1171604665.jpg

Here is another M1912 service coat, this one with a nice boullion Empire State patch on the RIGHT sleeve, which I thought was very unusual. One source suggested that this could have been for occupation duty, just not sure. Complete with near mint trousers. I have also illustrated in the following pictures, for those that may not know, where to find the military spec labels on these.

Usually the spec label can be found between the lining and the wool exterior in the lower, back of the coat.

On the trousers, this spec label was found is a rather hard to find spot, the outside interior pocket.

This one I remember came out of a house in Madison, New York, probably about 10 years ago.

Lost Batallion? Hopefully, but probably not!

Chris

post-548-1171605786.jpg