Various WW1 Uniforms

Jim Baker

Here are some of my WWI uniforms:

DEAD LINK 1/17/15

doinworkinvans

This is a Monday morning jacket. The left epaullete is sewn upside down.

Here is a uniform grouping for a Captain Edward Cline Bull. I have very little info on him other than his draft card. That was pretty easy to find. I went to the national archives and pulled up all draft cards with the initials E. Bull. There was 32 E. Bulls believe it or not. The problem was 31 of them were listing their civilian occupations as rancher, farm worker, machinist. The only exception was on, Edward Cline Bull, occupation surgeon. Well I knew I found my man. Since he also enlisted in the MORC as a lieutenant this had to be an educated man and this was then the only one of the bunch.

post-428-1168945770.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

FRANK SOUCEK WWI 2ND DIV VET

Although he's not a Hoosier, this is still one of my favorite uniforms.

Note the 23rd INF insignia and Indian head on the CdG cord. The uniform is tailor made and I assume it was made post war for the parades.

post-203-1170552659.jpg

post-203-1170552683.jpg

post-203-1170552700.jpg

post-203-1170552720.jpg

A few more photos. The splinter and gauze were in his coat pocket. Although I have his name and home state, I haven't had any luck getting service documentation.

post-203-1170552873.jpg

post-203-1170552884.jpg

Run this guy through the Social Security Death Index at Familysearch.com, the Mormon site. That should give you a date (within a month) of death, plus a place.

Then, through the local historical society (his, not yours) or through the local library in that town, see if you can get his obituary. That would prove what you already know from the uniform. You might also check to see if he registered his discharge with the local County Recorder or equivalent. That is then a public record and you should be able to get a copy for a nominal price.

The unit insignia on the fourragiere knots was authorized, but is rarely seen.

Other than the discharge chevron being on upside down what do you guys think of this? It is the 84th Division. No date that I know of yet other than it is an M1912 Jacket.

post-281-1170943595.jpg

post-281-1170943663.jpg

post-281-1170943687.jpg

The key piece is that shoulder patch. And, with a simple felt on felt patch, I'd want some rock solid provenance prior to shelling out any decent money, as it's usually impossible to distinguish the fakes from the real ones. Having the #'d brass is a positive indication of originality(but not a certainty).

Kurt

Yes it is. I tried for the 88th Div. Sergeants uniform but was too late so I got this one instead. It was the only Infantry one that I was comfortable with being real.